Monday, May 26, 2014

Memorial Day

The winner of my ARC of Circa Now is:
Yay! Please email your mailing address to
barbarawatson94(at)gmail(dot)com.

This week, I'm thinking about all who serve and have served our country. Thank you and thank you. Because of you, the rest of us enjoy our freedom.

A few years ago, my kids and I had the privilege of meeting a World War II veteran and having him speak to our small group. He was old, of course, but spry and full of life. And he talked about how many of those he served with have now died and how it gave him an even greater urgency to talk about his experience because soon there will no longer be any living veterans of World War II. He's an amazing person with an interesting perspective. And I know all veterans can't do what he does -- the experiences are too painful, too rough, and still too raw. My own great uncle was never able to share his World War II experiences, and I understand and respect that perspective also. But vetrans of any war, whatever your experience has been please know there are grateful people everywhere who believe in you and are thankful for you.

16 comments:

  1. Awesome your kids got to hear the veteran's stories with you. Have a great holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My father is a WWII veteran, but his dementia has progressed to the point where he doesn't remember much of anything. I miss the old stories he used to tell us about being a radioman on a subchaser. Wish I'd written them down... Have a wonderful Memorial Day, Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My G'pa is a WWII vet . . . he's passed on now, but I've passed his stories down to my own girls and they are so grateful :-) Happy Memorial Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice story. Great for your kids to have this experience. Congrats to Suzanne.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cherish my dad's wartime stories. They made me understand and appreciate what our soldier experience so much more than any history book ever has.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Grandpa was a WWII vet, but it wasn't something he wanted to talk about much. He's now passed away, and although he told me lots of stories about other things, I wish I could've heard more about his time in the Pacific. That's great that you and your kids got to have this experience.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am proud and thankful to our veterans too, for people willing to give their lives for freedom. I got to hear a Jewish veteran from WWII last year, and I truly felt it was an honor to hear him speak.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Grandpa was a WWII pilot, and he tells stories of sitting on a hill in the Philippines, wondering if he'd live through this war, if he'd ever have the blessed opportunity to have a family. He's be 98.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My Grandpa was a WWII fighter on the bombers, and a hero of mine. Thanks for the kind words, and also for my ARC! Sending you an email. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy (belated) Memorial Day! It's always a great opportunity for kids and adults to listen to veterans and how they served our country.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Memorial Day! That is so wonderful that he is willing, able, and enthusiastic about sharing his experiences. It's so important for us to understand what war really is . . . and I think sometimes we really don't know even with all the media we have today. My great-uncle and grandfather both served but could never talk about it. My great-uncle worked with the bomb squad, and my grandfather served as a tank mechanic (he had been a calvary sergeant but those weren't needed in WWII as much).

    ReplyDelete
  12. You make such a good point. Soon there won't be anymore WWII vets to tell us about their experience. We too make a point of thanking people for their service whenever we can.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats to Suzanne!

    My father wouldn't share, either. All I knew was that he'd been part of the Marine landing on Tarawa in the South Pacific and ended up in a hospital in Hawaii. He very probably made the right decision not to share, yet it created a distance that was never quite bridged.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aw, such a lovely post this week!

    ReplyDelete

Comments. Yay! They're almost as good as chocolate. Almost.