Monday, May 5, 2014

Marvelous Midde Grade Monday: A Snicker of Magic

Ahhhh. One of my favorite reads so far this year is A Snicker of Magic by Natalie Lloyd. It's her debut, and what a debut it is with its fun twist on lost magic, characters that touch your heart, and a plot that keeps readers guessing. There's a little something in this one for everyone, including ice cream.

The premise: Felicity Pickle is a wanderer. Mostly because her mom never settles in one place for too long, and so Felicity longs for home. She also see words everywhere, even shimmering in the air over people's heads sometimes, and collects them. So when Felicity's family roams into Midnight Gulch, all sorts of words tumble her way, but two of the most important are home and magic.

What I loved: The way Natalie Lloyd strings words together. Felicity might be a collector of words and discovering a unique magic in Midnight Gulch, but Natalie Lloyd has a magic all her own when it comes to sewing just the right words together sentence after sentence. This is one of those books that stays with you long after you've read the last page. And magical ice cream only adds to its perfectness.

For more middle grade magic, check the links on
Happy middle grade reading,

26 comments:

  1. I just read this and loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought you'd like this. It's one of my favorites this year too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really wanted to slap the mother, though. Why is it that so many of the parents in MG fiction who manage not to die are so dysfunctional?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That's so frustrating sometimes. The book I had up on my blog last week, Eliza Bing is (Not) a Big Fat Quittter, has supportive parents and I'm sure I've read a few others with supportive parents too. Maybe we need to make a list somewhere!

      Delete
  4. I have to read this one! I keep seeing people talking about it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So excited to see you feature this one, Barbara! I have wanted to read it since the moment I first saw the synopsis, and since then have been hearing lovely thing after lovely thing. I must get my hands on a copy soon, I have a feeling I will love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was on my radar for my daughter - maybe from Literary Rambles. And then my daughter spied it for herself at the library - perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Barbara, this one sounds good. I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh this was a lovely read. I'm glad you enjoyed it too! :)

    ~Akoss

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the cover, love the premise, the story, writing, characters...well, you get my drift. Glad you enjoyed this one, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've seen this one around, and made note to check it out, but never quite felt the connection to nudge me into tracking it down. Your review puts it over the edge, though, so I'm hereby committing to finding a copy this week! lol Thanks for the nudge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anyone who sees this cover has to read the book!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds wonderful! I've been hearing such good things about it. What's not to love about that great title and cover?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I keep moving this one up on my TBR list and your review convinced me I shouldn't wait any longer. Such a great premise.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow. One of my favorite things (ice cream) + one of my favorite names (Felicity) + a random favorite word (gulch)= I'm going to have to find this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This book keeps popping up on my radar. I definitely need to get my hands on it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds lovely from the premise and cover, yep need to read it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This has been on my radar for awhile. Hope to get to it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love it when words weave together in a magical way. Thanks for sharing this book!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Because the only thing better than magic ice cream would be magic cheese. We're not ready for that much awesomeness. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks like a really fun book.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ooooh, the ice cream is a huge draw. I actually started this, and will probably finish, but got sidetracked by another book. A lot depends on mood, and this is my second single, dysfunctional, wandering mom in a row...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Magic ice cream? Beautiful words strung together? Sold! This is on my list. Thanks for sharing. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ever since I first heard of this book, I've been dying to read it. I'm just going to have to buy a copy. That's all there is to it!

    ReplyDelete

Comments. Yay! They're almost as good as chocolate. Almost.