Monday, March 17, 2014

Tumblr Update

Just over a month ago I posted about Tumblr and how even though I'd been on the site for a year and liked it, I wasn't using it much. And then I asked for Tumblr tips, which I didn't get many of -- and that's fine -- I learn by doing anyway. So I started doing. And I learned, of course.

But what I did get on that last Tumblr post was a lot of people wanting me to share what I found out when I started using it more. So here you are . . .

Tumblr is a micro-blogging site which means it's small snippets of information shared in a fun, fast and easy-to-follow manner -- because it's mostly images and quotes and gifs. It's sometimes words but not a whole lot of them. A few links are spread here and there, pointing you to things you can read. Or not. And liking people's posts and reblogging other's posts are the main ways ideas spread.

Reblogging means sharing someone's post with your followers which is part of what makes Tumblr fast and fun. You don't have to come up with your own stuff all the time. Copyright can be an issue, so I'm careful about what I reblog and check the original source before I do.

My Tumblr is different than this blog and also separate from my tweets. I want it that way. I work hard to make sure it is that way. But, it's still the writer me, the teacher me, the middle-grade-book-loving me, and the daily-dog-walking me. Just in a different form.

Finding people to follow requires some leg work, but the search function is much improved since I first joined, and searching hashtags helps find people of similar interests.

And now that I've learned how to better use Tumblr, I find I love it. In fact, it's beating Twitter as my favorite social site at the moment. It's a way to express yourself in such a different way than other social media because it's so visual. An escape from ALL THE WORDS. (Maybe other writers feel this way too -- Tumblr has a huge writer/author presence.) And since Tumblr's the place many young people are, if you write for them or simply know them, :-) it's a place you should check out.

So, if you're inclined, hitch up those pants and stroll into the Tumbr waves with me. Mine's right here.

20 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your experiences there. I know a lot of people are on there and there are some blogs I'd love to follow. But I just don't have time for more social media. I barely get on Facebook and Twitter these days with work being so busy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've learned more from you, Barbara, than from anywhere else. I just tend to repost. I haven't paid attention to the copyright issues. Oops!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I asked twitter to follow you! Ha! ;)
    I need to get more on tumblr. I've been neglecting mine a little.

    Akoss

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm on enough social sites as it is... If I got on another I'd never get any writing done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy Garvey, a YA author who lives in my hometown, has been telling me about Tumblr and urging me to join (you should follow her, if you don't already). But I do feel the way Bish does: one more social media site would be too much to handle. What I have heard from Amy and others is that Tumblr is replacing Blogger for a lot of writers. Do you think that will happen? Would you ever give up this blog in favor of Tumblr? Lots to think about, anyway...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I replied via email to you, Joanne, but I wanted to respond here so others can see it, too. I can see Tumblr replacing blogging because you can post text (which is blogging -- and receive comments on that text) as well as many other avenues of posting (video, links, images, answer questions posed to you, quotes, etc). All the avenues of posting are the strength of Tumblr, I think.

      Delete
  6. It does sound like a fun and useful way to connect with readers, and folks generally. Hmm, I've been wondering about it, and you may have just given me the nudge to stop wondering and start doing! Thanks for the info!

    --Suzanne
    www.suzannewarr.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing this, Barbara--haven't gotten much past blogging myself yet, but Tumblr does appeal for all the reasons you state. Of course, I should get into Twitter, too--but maybe someday....?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good to know about, but I don't have time to add anything. Thanks for an interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the Tumblr update. I'm not ready to join yet (no time) but it's on my list to look into later so I love hearing about it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I signed up for Tumbler, then couldn't keep doing that and everything else. I may give it another shot now that my life has settled a bit. Thanks for the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE the gifs on tumblr. Best EVER--and while I prowl on the outskirts, I haven't yet invested myself into being a tumblr-er. The desire is there. I'm so visual, I know I would totally have a ball, but time. Ah, time...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds interesting, Barbara. I may give it a try sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for this information, Barbara. I've been wondering what it was all about, although I'm not sure I can add anything else at the moment. But it definitely sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't know -- I guess so many choices are overwhelming and seem like unnecessary duplication. If it's visual -- well isn't that the argument for Instagram and Pinterest? If it's micro-blogging, isn't that Twitter? (Although I tend to think of Twitter as Universal Texting.:)) If it's Twitter, only longer, isn't that FB? Really, aren't we already doing all these tumblr things on FB? And plenty of blogs already use gifs. It just seems like it's nothing new. It's, if anything, a SLIGHT re-combination of stuff we're already doing.

    I've heard that kids abandoned FB for tumblr b/c the adults got on FB. I've also heard several writers say just in the last few weeks that they have tumblr but never do anything with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's certainly a matter a preference, as with any social media, but Tumblr offers *so many* possibilities in one place that other sites don't. It's the ONE PLACE that gets me. And it depends on who you want to reach. With many people abandoning FB, are the people you want to interact with there anymore (or active there)? Social media preferences will always change and move and shift. Being willing to change and move and shift and try new things is important because what's popular now, won't be in a few years.

      Delete
  15. I had fun checking out your Tumblr! I actually thought that Pinterest would eclipse Tumblr completely, but I think Tumblr will continue to thrive as a sort of inbetween; more words/opinion than Pinterest, less words than blogs, more flexibility than Twitter. Well, who knows.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tumblr is so much fun. I'm always afraid of being too fangirly on my regular blog and such, but Tumblr is the one place I feel like I can let that part of me run free, haha. Glad to see you've been enjoying it over there, too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you! I am thinking on expanding my social media horizons...I do have a tumbler account (er, need to remember/find it) and have been thinking of trying it again.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks so much for all the helpful information! I haven't explored Tumblr as much as I'd like to, but I am bookmarking this post to remind myself to go back and check it out when I have the time. Happy Tumblring. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete

Comments. Yay! They're almost as good as chocolate. Almost.