Monday, December 9, 2013

Marvelous Middle Grade Monday: The Wig in the Window

Spies. Mystery. Humor. Stories within the overall story. Fun. And still more mystery. The Wig in the Window by Kristen Kittscher is all of these things and offers readers an inside look at friendship and trust. It's a great mix of great things for all readers that would make a great gift for the middle grader on your list.

The premise: Sophie Young and her best friend Grace Yang are 7th grade sleuths who often sneak out on midnight spy missions. One time they even decide to spy on the strange middle school counselor, Charlotte Agford, who lives in their neighborhood. But this spy mission spins out of control and soon involves the police, the FBI and counseling sessions.

What I loved: Oh, the mystery, for sure. Just when you think you have it all figured out, of course, you don't. And that's what makes a mystery truly marvelous, right? Throw in some tension in Sophie and Grace's friendship, and this is a believable, fun, adventurous, rollicking middle grade debut you don't want to miss.

For more middle grade recommendations follow the links on
Happy middle grade reading,

15 comments:

  1. Succinct review, as always, Barbara, that gets right to the heart of the what makes this book a winner. I didn't figure out the mystery either. :) And I loved that their friendship was so realistic.

    Plus, it's going to be a series, so for kids who latch onto a book they love and don't want to let go, there's something to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, a rocking debut I've been dying to read.
    Thanks for the feature, Barbara!

    ~Akoss

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, a federal offense committed by seventh graders...I'm so curious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sound like a great middle grade read. And for a grown up like, me, a super read. I love mysteries and I write for that age group, and am always on the look-out for a good MG mystery. Thanks for a good review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome. I'm off to look up the rest of your middle grade books. Or maybe I'll just send them the link. Less work for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your review, very well written. I hadn't heard of this one and my granddaughter would probably love this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heard so much about this one (and now I've won my own copy, courtesy of Joanne Fritz!) *zippety doo-da*

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard great things about this. Glad you liked it too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Girls on an adventure! What's not to like about that. Thanks for your review, Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh, my daughter might enjoy this. She's a very fussy reader. :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. I couldn't agree more with your review. I passed my copy off to a young reader and she loved it, too. I'm glad to hear there are going to be new adventures in the series.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh, this sounds like such a fun mystery!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've heard of this and meant to read it, but haven't yet. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love mysteries and this MG book sounds excellent! I can't wait to get to know the characters and try to solve the case. :) Great review! Thanks for sharing. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  15. Many, many thanks for reading and featuring such a nice review of The Wig in the Window, Barbara! I'm honored -- and so glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete

Comments. Yay! They're almost as good as chocolate. Almost.