Monday, November 18, 2013

Marvelous Middle Grade Monday: Ivy in the Shadows

Several months ago I won Ivy in the Shadows from Rosi Hollinbeck's blog. She often features books I haven't heard about, so I always look forward to seeing what she's reading and what her take is on those books. So once this book arrived in my mailbox, I dug right in, and soon, I'll be rereading it aloud with my daughter. But please, don't be put off by this book's cover; in my opinion, it does not do justice to the story.

The premise: When Ivy's stepfather leaves, Ivy's mom starts working (not to mention trying to hold herself together). She has to support Ivy and her little brother somehow, after all. They also take in a boarder, a twelve-year-old named Caleb. But Caleb is strange and embarrassing for Ivy to be around. To further complicate Ivy's life, she's an eavesdropper and learns much she's not supposed to know--until she learns that sometimes you have to move out of the shadows.

What I loved: The colorful, complicated, realistic cast of characters. Ivy, her mom, Ivy's brother JJ, Aunt Maureen, Caleb and Pastor Harold each bring something unique and necessary to this story. I wish I was nice enough pass along Ivy in the Shadows as a giveaway, but . . . Rosi sent me a hardcover, and you know how I love those, right? So I'm hanging on to it. :-)

For more middle grade recommendations follow the links on
Happy middle grade reading,

24 comments:

  1. I remember Rosi sharing about this. Glad you liked it so much. And that's awesome you want to read it with your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm intrigued. I'm definitely going to look for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also had not heard of this one. GEORGIE'S MOON is the last one I remember from this author also featuring a female protagonist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hadn't heard of this one, but it sounds good. I don't blame you for not passing it along. Some books you just have to keep for yourself :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL! Keep your book, little miss selfish. ;) I love it when you meet a story so amazing you're not willing to let it go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. New one for me, but one I think I'd like to read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember hearing about this book, undoubtedly from Rosi! That's terrific that the secondary characters are colorful and realistic.

    I'm always tempted to hold onto hardcovers too, but the shelves are bulging...

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is a terrific book. I agree, the cover doesn't do it justice. Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  9. If it's good enough to hand onto I'm definitely going to read it. You can always tell a lot about the books readers just won't give up. Thanks for the recommend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm curious, is Caleb strange for her to be around because he's a boarder or is there some other reason? Or does that give away too much of the book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because he's a boarder plays into it -- she feels out of place in her own home at times. But there's also much more to it which would spoil much of the plot.

      Delete
  11. Ooh, this sounds like a great book. No wonder you want to hang onto your copy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can't blame you for hanging onto it. Sounds like a keeper! Thanks for the review, Barbara =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What do you mean you're going to hang on to it? ;)
    Maybe if I beg hard enough? No? Ah well.
    I remember this book and you are right about Rosi's unique book features.

    ~Akoss

    ReplyDelete
  14. I adore that cover!!!! I have a hard time giving away (or lending) my hardcovers too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aw, sounds really great! And what kid doesn't like to eavesdrop??? Awesome premise!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds really good -- and I don't mind the cover, either. There are TOO MANY BOOKS ON MY PILE! :) Like I'd have it any other way, right?

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have an amazing library of MG lit listed online for anyone that's looking.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is on my pile of Cybils reading. Sounds good! I hope to get to it this week.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'll be looking out for this one, Barbara. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You have such good suggestions! I'm always looking for something to read to my girls at bedtime and we're almost done with the current one :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sounds like a great recommendation, Barbara. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Have fun reading with your daughter -- and thanks for the recommendation. It wasn't on my radar before!

    ReplyDelete

Comments. Yay! They're almost as good as chocolate. Almost.