Monday, November 4, 2013

Marvelous Middle Grade Monday: Flying the Dragon

Some books come into your life like an unexpected gift of dark chocolate you discover on your desk after lunch. They're sweet, surprising, and find you at just the right moment. Such was my experience with Natalie Dias Lorenzi's Flying the Dragon.

The premise: Skye has never met her father's family, but her sick grandfather brings them all the way from Japan to the United States, seeking medical treatment. Skye's cousin Hiroshi has always had Grandfather to himself, and he doesn't want to share him with Skye, especially their kite building and kite flying. Two cousins. One grandfather. And Grandfather's time seems to be running out . . .

What I loved: The dual point of view. Readers need both Skye and Hiroshi to fully grasp what this story offers. It's also full of cultural aspects, shows the harsh reality of a fractured family, and showcases what understanding can accomplish. Most of all I love the way Flying the Dragon shows us that we all can change -- if we're willing.

For more middle grade books to love, follow the links on
Happy middle grade reading!

24 comments:

  1. I loved this too. It was a really fast read for me. Glad you're spotlighting it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how you describe the unexpected sweetness of this book. I've seen the cover around, but this is the first review I've read on it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds very touching! Maybe not the right read for my kids at the moment, having just lost a grandfather though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very intriguing premise. Titles like this one often get buried under the more splashier reads so thanks for bring this one to our attention. I'm looking forward to picking this one up in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I reviewed this book last year and LOVED it. Probably one of my favorite MG books read last year. Glad you found it Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a book I would like and one my grandkids might like as well. Thanks for telling me about it. I will definitely be checking it out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this is definitely a book I'd like to read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for this review. I need to mention this book to my sister for my niece. Thanks also for your comment on Ruth's blog. It's great to meet you!

    Now I heard something about dark chocolate on the desk after lunch - I need to straighten my desk and see if I can unearth any here as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Barbara - sounds perfect for my daughter (and me!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ug. This is when I wish I could do nothing but read all day. This story sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw, this book sounds so touching! I love how the plot revolves around a family element, especially since it's too easy for families to get pushed aside in books for younger readers. This seems like something kids can relate to!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad you enjoyed this book. I already have it on my list, I just need to make my way to it.
    Thanks for the feature.

    ~Akoss

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooo, I LOVE dark chocolate! What a great comparison. I still need to read this book. It's been on my TBR list for quite a while now. Thanks for such a succinct and lovely review.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds wonderful, Barbara. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds great, and I love books with Japanese culture.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much for your kind words about Flying the Dragon, Barbara. Comparing my book to dark chocolate is the highest of compliments. :-) Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's a beautiful cover. I just read on another MMGM that someone else picked up Lisa Graff's book based on the cover seen on your review.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like a good one. I love those unexpected gifts of dark chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It sounds like a beautiful book! Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. A book with unexpected sweetness. That's a recommendation in itself. It sounds like a worthwhile book. Another for my TBR stack.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ooh, I'll add this to my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've seen this cover many places, and I see the power of getting your cover out there! Thanks for highlighting this.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This sounds like a great read. Going on the to-read list! :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments. Yay! They're almost as good as chocolate. Almost.