Monday, October 14, 2013

Miscellaneous Monday

Last week I had the pleasure to finally meet Shannon Messenger in person. She's the author of both middle grade and YA books and organizes the Marvelous Middle Grade Mondays. Right now she's on tour for her latest book, Keeper of the Lost Cities: Exile, and stopped at this crazy-cool little bookstore in St. Paul called Addendum Books. It's housed right across the street from a superb restaurant called W.A. Frost (which has the greatest outdoor dining patio as well as delectable creme brulee). So, consider this a little tourist advice should you ever visit my cities of Minneapolis/St. Paul: Shop at Addendum and then eat at W.A. Frost.

And here's a photo of Shannon and me because you're dying to see us.


Secondly (but most important to me of my miscellaneous) is this: I'M WRITING AGAIN. Let me say it one more time; it feels that good. I'm writing again. After a four-month writing break, which included a lonely bout of disbelief in my writing, I finally broke through my funk -- or at least I decided to write despite my funk. Probably the latter. Anyway, I wrote some new stuff this past week. It's new stuff in a story I began last winter, but still, it's NEW and it's WORDS.

Lastly, I'm chugging through a long editing project for a client of mine. In fact, I've never tackled a project this long (122,000 words!), so the length is breaking my brain a little. And being so keyed in and close to someone else's plot, characters and conflict makes it pretty impossible to write my own stuff during an edit, but those shiny new words I added last week are glinting and golden and winking away at me, and I'll return soon to add even more.

So, what's been going on with all of you?

24 comments:

  1. Awesome you got to meet Shannon too! It's one of the highlights of my month. And glad you're writing again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad you got through the funk. Sometimes that's the hardest part of the writing process. And I'll remember
    that bookstore if I'm ever in your city. I got through some funk and finally sent out a submission to a publisher.
    Why was that so hard? Only my insecurities know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eek!!! 122,000 words. I'm guessing you're doing A LOT of cutting.

    I met Shannon at a SCBWI LA conference, back before she could announce her first deal. She's sooo sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you are writing again! I couldn't imagine editing a 122,000 word manuscript. Glad you got to meet Shannon. I'm still writing - editing more than anything. I'm determined to get my MG manuscripts good enough to publish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for breaking on thru!! Have some fun with your new writing verve!

    And cool to meet Shannon! Good luck on that lengthy editing project. But everyone makes you a better writer. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely! Meeting another author and back to writing. Great news, Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! I know you've been looking forward to this meeting.
    Also congrats on the new shiny words.

    ~Akoss

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with writing and getting through that (very long) editing project!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on writing again! Even if you have to pause for an edit I'm glad those words are shining for you again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you broke through the funk, Barbara! And what fun to meet Shannon =)

    I got some new words down on paper this weekend, so I share your excitement.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So fun that you got to meet Shannon! And congrats on getting words down - I know I feel good after inspiration strikes and spends some time writing, no matter how little!

    BTW, I stole your blog post title and used it today! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmm, maybe this will inspire me to get some shiny new words of my own written. I'm going on over a month, quite a dry spell.

    How neat you got meet another MGMM! And thanks for the St Paul tip!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So cool!! Congrats on all of it, but especially the new words!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wouldn't be able to write either, if I was editing that long a manuscript for someone else! Wow. So glad to hear you've found your way back to writing. Feels good, doesn't it? And how nice for you that you got to meet Shannon, the founder of MMGM!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay for writing again and meeting Shannon.

    What a great feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So much fun meeting fellow authors! Same old thing here . . . teaching middle school and trying to find time to write :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for sharing the pic- love seeing writers in 'the wild'. ;) And yay for shiny new words!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hurray for finally writing again! That's fantastic! :D

    Also, good luck with your latest editing project. It sounds like a mammoth!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So happy for you! It's so wonderful to get back to writing after a break. I bet meeting Shannon would be inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is just a warm, fuzzy post! So glad you are back at it. I sooooo understand. I finally got back at it recently after more than a year. It feels so good. And I have some things right now that are keeping me away from my writing for a few days and I am itchy. Glad you got to meet Shannon. That's great. Hope the weather gets a little better. I just flew back from Minneapolis this afternoon (that's why I'm so behind on my email) and the rain and cold got to be a little much. But the trees were sure pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I enjoyed the picture, and it's great that you're writing again! Sometimes you need the break just to verify that, yes, you need to be doing this, because it feels so GOOD when you start again.

    ReplyDelete
  22. So jealous you were able to meet Shannon. I was sick when she came through my corner of Michigan. Congrats on the new words - I can imagine how good that must feel!

    ReplyDelete
  23. "I am writing again" <------- love seeing these words. Resilience is one of the strongest virtues any writer can wish to have!!!

    I met Shannon at BEA last year -- was so great to put a face to the name/blog. Going to feature her first book tomorrow in my MMGM!

    ReplyDelete

Comments. Yay! They're almost as good as chocolate. Almost.