Monday, October 21, 2013

Marvelous Middle Grade Monday: A Tangle of Knots

The cover of this book. Ahhhh. The colors, the cake, the hot air balloon -- what a combination. But it's what's inside a book that really counts, and what's inside this one really got me. I think it'll get you, too. A Tangle of Knots by Lisa Graff is one part magic, one part real, and every part wonderful.

The premise: Eleven-year-old Cady has a Talent for baking just the right cake for everyone she meets, and although she's an orphan, her life has really been a pleasant one -- thanks to Miss Mallory. But when Cady moves to the Lost Luggage Emporium, she discovers that everyone who lives there needs a little something. In fact, she discovers that even she needs a little something. And maybe everyone's answer is in one of those powder blue suitcases.

What I loved:  The mix of magic and real. All the characters, Cady included, have real problems, and the way Lisa Graff weaves magic in with these real problems is, well, more than magical really. A Tangle of Knots helps readers see how our stories and our lives are connected and how very much we need one another, mostly when we think we don't.

And . . . A Tangle of Knots is on the long list for the National Book Award!

For more middle grade recommendations, follow the links on
Happy middle grade reading,

25 comments:

  1. This sounds really good. I was sad I didn't have time to read my ARC. I'm going to see if I can get this in audio version at the library. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing cover! And it sounds so good. I am a fan of cake, so I already love it on principal. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished this, too! Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it when stories mix the real and the magic and do it well. Thanks, Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
  5. National Book Award -- wow! Sounds fantastic, and the premise is really special.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really wanted to love this book, because I've loved other books by Lisa Graff. But I actually felt there were too many characters. Too many POVs. It's a little hard to follow and I didn't feel I got to know most of the characters as well as I should have.

    But I'm glad to hear that didn't bother you and you still loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love cooking! I think I'd love a book about a person who expresses herself through food. I'll have to add it to the list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I believe this book was written specially for me. I've seen the cover around and wondered about it. Thanks to you I now know I must read it. :)

    ~Akoss

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love magic mixed with reality. The hot air balloon on the cover really calls to me. And an orphan who can bake just the right cake for everyone she meets. Well. Really intriguing.Your review makes me want to read this book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the cover. This sounds like a really fun book. Thanks for telling me about it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE the cover. It's the perfect age for my daughter, but she's into more suspense filled novels.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That description is MAGIC. I have a Powell's gift card and this book is going to be in someone's stocking!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE that cover and the blurb. How cool.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooh, this sounds amazing. I'm a sucker for any book with a little bit of magic. And that cover! So pretty...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds very interesting and different. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my goodness, what a cover! This sounds adorable and I'm sure my littles would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Appreciate the heads-up to this title--I want to read it! Thanks for the introduction to it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for this fantastic book review, Barbara! I will definitely be looking for this one next time I'm at the library. I have been curious about it for awhile, and now I know I must read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. How cute! And you're right that cover is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love hearing about books I haven't heard about. And there seems to be a new MG genre: baking books! You are also right about the cover: pure magic.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ah, I've got this one scheduled for a blog post, too. :) And I completely agree about baking, specifically cake/cupcake books, almost becoming a genre of their own.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Even with your short description, something about this book immediately appealed to me. Okay, I think this was it: "and the way Lisa Graff weaves magic in with these real problems is, well, more than magical really". Adding this book to my list right now. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I saw this one at the library a couple nights ago and grabbed it. Not too sure about how I will like the magical elements, but how can you pass up such a fun cover?! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Comments. Yay! They're almost as good as chocolate. Almost.