Monday, October 28, 2013

A Curious Big Deal

While walking my dog last week, I found the most curious thing. If it had been you who found this thing, you probably would not find it curious. The man who passed me on the path while I photographed this thing certainly did not find it curious. I'm sure he found me curious, however -- because I was photographing this thing. But to me, this curious thing was a Big Deal. And before I go any further, here's the Curious Big Deal I found and photographed.


The Curious Big Deal is that tiny wadded-up piece of paper in the lower mid-right corner. To you, the wadded-up piece of paper probably just looks like another fallen leaf strewn about by the breeze. But it's not a leaf. In fact, it's not even a wadded-up piece of paper. It's a wadded-up grocery receipt.

And here's why the wadded-up grocery receipt is a Curious Big Deal: The story I'm currently writing opens with a wadded-up grocery receipt tumbling along a walking path, and then the wadded-up grocery receipt scoots up a boy's leg and lodges in his hand.

Curious Big Deal, indeed, wouldn't you say?

Now, my story's beginning was written months ago, eight to be precise. But isn't it curious how this tiny wadded-up receipt, which is No Big Deal to anyone besides me, flitted across my walking path now? Like a miniature reminder of what a Big Deal writing is to me.

So, I'm curious, have you ever had a Curious Big Deal pop across your path?

21 comments:

  1. I would say this Curious Big Deal of yours is confirmation that your story may be a big deal. :) Right off hand I can't think of anything quite like that happening to me, but I have had several occasions where things came together in a way that were too coincidental to be coincidence. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so curious And yes, I've had something similar. I cleaned out my garden one day and the next day found something curious sitting on the dirt the next day that hadn't been there. It's the start of a story. Funny how those things happen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a "coincidence"! And fun, a mirror of what you've already written. In one of my early drafts I wrote in a scene about a goose. One morning I woke up to a loud honking outside my window and looked out to see a Canadian goose strutting in the front yard--what a feeling, validation that I was on the right track! And while I eventually ended up taking the scene out, I never forgot the feeling it gave me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so neat! I'd keep writing that manuscript!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooo, that gives me shivers! I LOVE when things like that happen. Some people say there are no coincidences. That it was meant to happen. I can just picture your MG book in a bookstore or library. It will happen, Barbara!

    My Curious Big Deal has nothing to do with my writing, but my health. My husband and I got lost driving around Boothbay Harbor in July 2005 and drove by the hospital for the first time. We both said, "So that's where the hospital is." Little did we know, he'd be speeding me there about four hours later.

    So yeah, I understand Curious Big Deals.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the ability to recognize a Curious Big Deal is what creates a writer. It's something about having that childlike sense of anything is possible that allows us to create an entire story where other people only see litter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love this! Like a message from the universe acknowledging your story and telling you to keep going. =)
    Last year I came across a hand-made necklace made from sea glass - much like the MC in my story receives as a gift. Of course, I had to have it. And every time I wear it, I feel like I'm that much closer to my characters and their story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I attribute this curious Big Thing to the Reticular Activator in your brain. You sent out the message and it answered. That's why you must be very careful about what messages you transmit. Good luck with your project. It sounds quite intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sooo cool! I love signs from the universe :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a coincidence! That must be a sign!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with the others. It must be a sign.
    I've never experienced anything similar so you are lucky! :)

    ~Akoss

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, similar things have happened to me. I wonder if my WIP is becoming real.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh! Now that's a hook. LOVE IT! The universe is complimenting your obvious inspiration. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am still waiting for a sign. Maybe one of these days. I see this as a very good omen for you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, what a fantastic coincidence. No wonder you view it as a big deal--I certainly would!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love when these types of things happen. And yes they happen to me too. Especially so with my last story. Little things connecting me to bigger things like connect the dots. Was very cool. Some call the coincidences, but I say it's our brains and consciousness more in tune to our surroundings. Either way, it's very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hahaha, YES. I love coming up with stories about things like that. I don't know if any have inspired a whole book, but it wouldn't surprise me.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Uncanny! I believe this is a sign that you are on the right path.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What an interesting coincidence! That sounds like a fun way to start a story.

    ReplyDelete

Comments. Yay! They're almost as good as chocolate. Almost.