Monday, June 24, 2013

When Things Tilt Sideways

The winner of my ARC of Every Day After is . . .


Please email your mailing address to barbarawatson94(at)gmail(dot)com.

Now, something much more sobering . . .

I blinked . . . and in that tiny amount of time, things tilted sideways for my family. A summer Friday afternoon, just over a week ago, sunny and perfect outside. But when my husband's cell phone rang, the news over the line brought deep, dark clouds. And then a storm blew through. And now we're caught in the doldrums of waiting.

My dearly-loved, young (age 67), and healthy mother-in-law suffered a Grade 4 rupture of a brain aneurysm. She endured an eight-hour surgery to drain her brain and clip the aneurysm. And then came the critical hours after the surgery. And days and days of doctors and nurses observing for something called vasospasms (small blockages that could cause strokes). Blood pressure too high. Blood pressure too low. Intercranial pressure too high. And on and on and on . . .

Throughout the ten days since her ruptured aneurysm, my mother-in-law has not "woken up." She may have brain damage. But we don't know how much. She may have areas of paralysis. But we don't know to what extent. She may still die.

My family hurts. But we serve a giant and loving God who carries us when we can't move on our own, celebrates with us when great things happen, and never told us life would be perfect, easy or fair. And we serve Him when things go well, and we serve Him when things tilt sideways.

It will be some time before I blog again. Our family figures out one day at a time--sometimes one hour at a time. We've set up a CaringBridge site for my mother-in-law, and my sister-in-law and I are journaling there in order to keep family and friends up to date.

In the meantime, much love to each of you,

22 comments:

  1. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Your faith is strong and will sustain you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear this. Saying some prayers right now. Hang in there, all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Barbara...my thoughts and prayers and with you. I know you will find your strength in Him and each other. I am truly with you in spirit, my friend. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barbara, I am so sorry to hear this. My prayers are with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear this, Barbara. Thinking of you and sending healing energy to your family. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. so sorry to hear about your mother-in-law. I hope and pray all goes well for her and for you. Hang in there, you're not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hang in there. I pray she wakes up soon so you can all start the process of healing together.

    ~Akoss

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw a couple of your tweets and have been praying for you all. I can only imagine how hard the waiting is right now, especially when this is completely sudden and unexpected. God's blessings and his healing grace for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Barbara, I'm so very sorry that she's still in a coma. You know from our emails, if there's anything I can do, please let me know. Waiting is difficult. But this rest may be the best thing for her. Healing takes times. Some of us do survive this, and I pray she'll be one of them and that the damage is minimal.

    Of course you need a blogging break. This is too important. Praying for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love and prayers to you, Barbara. Family is the best medicine right now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Praying for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aww, this is so tragic. I can't imagine what you guys must be feeling right now. Will keep your family in my thoughts! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry for your loss. Glad you are taking this time to spend with family and loved ones. Much love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sending healing thoughts your way, Barbara. I will look forward to hearing from you again when times are better as I know they will be.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hope all will be well, and wishing you and your family the best possible outcome!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh no!!! We've had a couple of these drastic turns in life recently too, one of them also with my husband's mother and very aggressive cancer. I do dearly hope to hear some good news about your mother in law!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so sorry to hear this, Barbara. Praying for comfort and healing for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. God is "giant and loving" with arms strong enough to carry you guys through. So sorry to hear this, Barbara. --Michelle Isenhoff

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am so sorry to hear about this. Keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm thinking of you and your family. Such wrenching times for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just seeing this now. So sorry for what you're going through Barbara. Sending prayers!

    ReplyDelete

Comments. Yay! They're almost as good as chocolate. Almost.