Monday, May 13, 2013

Marvelous Middle Grade Monday: Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh

Over a year ago I found this hardcover beauty of Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh at a thrift shop for the whopping price of one whole dollar. And surely you've heard me gush about how I adore hardcovers, so, of course, I purchased it. But usually I don't purchase books I haven't read because I need to know I love the book before I commit to it living in my house. Unbelievably I hadn't read Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh. Crazy, right? It's a Newbery winner (a famous and beloved Newbery winner at that) from 1972!

Most people, whether they love to read or not, have read Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh, but even though I had it in my house for over a  year, I didn't read it until last month when my daughter and I read it aloud together. Now I'm thrilled that this used-but-still-perfect hardcover lives in my bookcase.

Many times over the last year as I glanced at it, I wondered just who owned this book before me. Now I wonder if they loved the story as much as my daughter and I did. To me, it's one of those classic storylines that kids and adults, generation after generation, will continue to enjoy--as they have for over forty years already. The characters, the setting, the plot . . . they all stand the test of time, which is what "classic" means to me.

So, what about you? Have you read Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh? Did you read it as a kid or as an adult? Do you love it?

26 comments:

  1. Sorry, I've never read it. Sounds like I should though. Awesome you and your daughter finally picked it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never even heard of this book, but I LOve how you love books and read them with your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book--read it as a teenager--actually one of my best friends read it aloud to me, because neither of us ever gave up MG books even when they weren't considered very cool to read by our peers. :)
    I wanted to let you know you won the ARC of Every Day After on my blog! I couldn't click through to your email for some reason, so if you could email me (faith(dot)hough(at)gmail(dot)com) your mailing address, I'll get it out to you ASAP. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this book - read it to my kids, reread it again...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never read it. I guess I should find a copy and do that. Thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't read it until I was in my 30s. But that was still a long time ago, heh heh... And yes, of course I loved it. I'd call it a modern classic. Glad you got a chance to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Classic! Read as an adult.

    So many good middle grade out there that I haven't read yet though. For example, Richard Newton Peck's Soup series...yep. Think we may did a Middle Grade Classics I never Read Reading Challenge/A Thon...or just do it, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE this book. It was also the book that caused my son to confess his dad had found a dead rat in our back yard and hidden it from me and my well-known rat phobia!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thats what classic means to me too.

    I LOVED the film as a kid, but admittedly have never read the book. Always meant to. Just read Tuck Everlasting to my 8 year old. Such great writing. And plan to read Lord of the Flies to him next, but I shall add NIMH to the summer reading list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I must admit, I have never read it or have any idea what it is about (Well, except maybe rats :o) I'll have to put it on my reading list!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm with PK. I loved the movie as a kid but haven't read the book. I'm not sure I realized it was based on a book. Now I'll have to go check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't read it but I've seen the movie. I'll have to check into it when my kids get just a little older.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't read it but I've heard so many good things about it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. If you like wondering about previous owners of your used books,(I do, too) you might appreciate the website bookinscriptions.com, in which photographs of book inscriptions are shown. I find some of them very moving. I hope to put together my own modest collection for a Pinterest board soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't read the book but the title sounds familiar. I'm just not sure why.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The book is completely new to me and that's why I love your MMGM. :)

    ~Akoss

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have a small but growing collection of Newbery-winning books on one of my shelves--but not this one. Looks like it's one I'm going to search for next. Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Read this just a couple of years ago. Loved it.

    I'm with you on not buying a book until I know it can earn its keep on my shelves!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Read it as a child - but would love to revisit as an adult!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Never read this myself, but I think I have heard of it before. Can't believe you were able to snatch up a hardcover of this for just a dollar--what a great find!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's been so long. Maybe it's time to revisit this.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I read it and loved it. The film is fun, but the book is far better.

    ReplyDelete
  23. It always surprises me the classics I still haven't read. I read this one as a kid and loved it. So glad you finally picked it up!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I haven't read it either. I'm no longer surprised by how much I haven't read. To paraphrase: the more I read, the more I realize how much I don't read.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh I forgot all about that book. LOVED it. Such great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I haven't read this either, but I've seen the movie. I'm sure it is a wonderful book that I should add to my to-read list!

    ReplyDelete

Comments. Yay! They're almost as good as chocolate. Almost.