Monday, April 8, 2013

Marvelous Middle Grade Monday: Crow

The winner of my ARC of When the Butterflies Came is . . .
Hooray! Please email your mailing address to barbarawatson94(at)gmail(dot)com.

And now, today's great middle grade book . . .

You guys. This book made me cry. More than once. Not that it's unusual for me to cry when I read, but Crow by Barbara Wright really could have happened in U.S. history. In fact, parts are based in real events, so that makes it all the more impacting.

The premise: In 1898 Wilmington, North Carolina, Moses Thomas and his family are living out the Emancipation Proclamation. Racism still exists, but it's nothing like Boo Nanny (Moses' grandmother) experienced as a slave. But as the summer progresses, racial tensions increase. And although he's still in Wilmington, Moses finds himself in a place he doesn't recognize.

What I loved: The weaving of a historical event (the Wilmington Massacre of 1898) with the spot-on voice of each character. Moses, Moses' mother, Moses' college educated father, and Boo Nanny--Moses' former-slave grandmother. Barbara Wright joins multi-generations in this story and hits the mark with each one.

For more great middle grade books, follow the links on
Happy middle grade reading!

23 comments:

  1. I love it when books make me cry like that. It just proves how powerful the overall writing is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats to Kristin! And thanks for sharing about this book. It sounds like a really good one, especially if it made you cry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If a book can make me cry, I'm for it! But if it can make me cry and be based on a piece of interesting history, you've got me for sure. Thanks for telling about The Crow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a good one. I will be checking it out. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats Kristin! The power to make you cry is one of those amazing story things that happen. Makes you know you are invested and the author has pulled you into the heart of the book. And---have not read this one yet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these concise reviews, Barbara. And any book that makes me cry is worth reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats to Kristin.

    I'll admit I'm a softie. I cry more than I'd like to admit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like a book I'd like, particularly one that will get me weepy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow sounds great! And I love when books make me cry. Gosh I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I heard about this book recently and thought I might want to read it. Now I know I want to read it! Thanks for bringing the title back to mind :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. If you cried, then I'm probably gonna cry. Sounds pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like an important book to remind kids about how things used to be, and unfortunately still are in some places.

    I'm all for books that make me cry. Not that it takes much to make me cry.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, gorgeous cover! And it sounds like a must read. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the review! It sounds like a powerful read!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It sounds fantastic! And now I'm going to head over to Goodreads to add it to my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like a really good book. Thanks for sharing it on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is one I am going to read!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love that you had such an emotional connection to it! Thanks for sharing another great book!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Another great historical to add to my list (even though I'm a wimp when it comes to emotional stories).
    Thank you for sharing with us. :)

    ~Akoss

    ReplyDelete
  20. This sounds wonderful. I'm adding it to my list. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This will be a must read for me as I live in NC. Love the cover of the book.

    ReplyDelete

Comments. Yay! They're almost as good as chocolate. Almost.