Monday, February 11, 2013

Marvelous Middle Grade Monday: Summer at Forsaken Lake

The kind of summer depicted in Summer at Forsaken Lake by Michael D. Beil is the kind of summer I would love to have -- the lakeshore, sailing, time in the sun. Ahhh. And it's also a book I read last summer and have been wanting to share for quite awhile. Finally, I am!

The premise: Twelve-year-old Nicholas Mettleson and his younger twin sisters are spending the summer with a great uncle they hardly know at a lake house they've never seen. But when Nicholas's dad tells him, "...that old house...and the lake--they're both full of secrets. You just have to know where to look," Nicholas starts to think maybe things won't be as boring and bad as he has anticipated. And meeting a girl named Charlie brings something Nicholas really didn't expect.

What keeps readers reading: The mystery! It involves an old letter and an old reel of movie film. That's right, film. It gives today's readers a little taste of how much film making has changed! Together, the letter and the film reel make the perfect summer adventure. I won't say anymore because, well, it's a mystery, and I can't give it away.

What I loved: Okay, I'm a parent, so I'm allowed to love this part of the story--Nicholas and Charlie uncover secrets about their parents when they were kids! It's fun and fascinating and such a neat twist.

For more middle grade recommendations, visit the links at
Shannon Messenger's site.
Happy middle grade reading! 
 

27 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun mysterious for MGers. I really like the cover, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fun book. I'd like to read it just to fantasize about having a summer like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I think I'd love this one, Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A house full of secrets...now THAT'S a story to love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds fantastic--I've been dying to read a MG mystery lately.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the sound of this one! And the film...I'm making movies out of my mom's old super 8's and it's soooooo fun to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. More mystery for my tbr pile. I will make sure to read this by summer this year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. If a book has "mystery" or "detective" in the title, my daughter is rarely interested. But she loves books that have mysteries woven into them, and this looks like one she'd pluck off the shelf. Thanks for sharing - I hadn't heard of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't heard of this until now, so thanks for the heads-up. I love that the kids discover secrets about their parents when they were young! How cool.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do love a mystery and this sounds like a good one. It is now on my TBR list. Oh, and congratulations, Barbara. You won a book on my blog this week! I will send it out right away.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a sucker for a story with a new, mysterious setting. Sounds like a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Books about kids, summer and lakes were always my favorite as a kid. It's kind of that magical combination!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds awesome! I love learning about new books here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm not sure I had a secrets as a kid. That would make for one boring story. lol

    This sounds like another one to add to my daughter's TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like that kind of discovery in books. It can be quite powerful. Sounds like a super story.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds great, and I love the cover:-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. My daughter loves mysteries! I'll have to suggest this.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like a fun read! I love that the girl is named Charlie. ;) Beautiful cover too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the cover, and it sounds like a fun story. Thanks, Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds super cute! Love MG like these. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. If you liked this one, you will love the Swallows and Amazons books. We Didn't Mean to Go to Sea (which is the book the kids talk about in Summer at Forsaken Lake) is especially good.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This sounds like a good read! And also a similar concept to a different manuscript I read last year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks, Barbara. I'm adding this one to my list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh. I love books with a little mystery to them. It really does keep me reading. It sounds like a great book.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love mysteries. Thanks for sharing this book with us.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I hadn't heard of this. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This book sounds like a lot of fun! I love it when books contain a mystery like this. It's such a joy to see things unravel in the plot while reading. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments. Yay! They're almost as good as chocolate. Almost.