Monday, February 25, 2013

Marvelous Middle Grade Monday: Bliss

Look at that cover! Yumminess everywhere. Just don't read this little gem when your stomach's growling. Bliss, written by Kathryn Littlewood and released in 2012, is an inventive blend of magic, baking, and doing the right thing. If you can remember what the right thing is . . . 

The premise: Rosemary Bliss belongs to a family of magical bakers whose secrets have been compiled for generations in the Bliss Cookery Booke. When Rose's parents leave town, she is called upon to keep the book safe and locked up tight. But when Aunt Lily shows up, Rose and her siblings experiment with the forbidden recipes. 

What keeps readers reading: The mystery. Questions such as 'just who is Aunt Lily?' and 'what is she after?' ring through readers' minds and keep them turning pages. And the idea that magic is baked into glorious bakery goods is just divine. 

What I loved: The growth and development of Rose's character. She's tried and tested and so badly wants to do right . . . but when what's baked into the baked goods by Aunt Lily turns right and wrong upside down, Rose is challenged to hold tight to the truth. Her family's secrets depend on it.

I read Bliss sometime last summer and have had it on my to-share list ever since. Just two weeks ago, the second installment in The Bliss Bakery series released -- A Dash of Magic. I'll be biting into that one very, very soon.
 I'm sure it's just as delicious as the first.

For more middle grade recommendations, check the links put together by Shannon Messenger.
Happy middle grade reading!
 

26 comments:

  1. I love the 3D effect of the cover. Way cool. This is a really different and interesting premise. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fun read. It's interesting that baking is starting to be a storyline. Thanks for sharing about this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm reading a book right now that has some striking similarities to this. I'll be reviewing it soon on my blog. This one looks very cute and I love the cover. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is such a charming cover and sounds like a great read!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm, sounds like a delicious read!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen this book on shelves but never picked it up. Sounds tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the cover and the story is definitely delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the premise of this book! I've seen a few movies in the past with a similar "magical cooking" angle, so it'd be fun to see how a middle grade book handles it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. AWESOME cover. Sounds like this one would really appeal to girls.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love everything about this book: cover, premise. I just can't wait to read it too. :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. This book looks adorbable. Great cover! It sounds like a fun mystery and I have added it to my list. Should be fun! Thanks for sharing. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute! I already think baking is magical. What age level would you say for this one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yes. Baking is like a little bit of magic. In my opinion, this fits typical MG for ages 8-12.

      Delete
  13. omg. Magical bakers? And look at that cover! I am in LOVE!!! Thanks for the heads up, Barbara! <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't suppose those magical bakers figured out how to make their treats calorie free????

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my . . . I want some candy just looking at that cover!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yet another book that sounds perfect for my daughter! This is great. :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. This one sound great! Definitely going to look for it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yum! I love it when my kids like a book that has a sequel. Bliss...;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this cover too! I feel like I always say that with the books you read. I want to know more about Aunt Lily already. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. That cover makes me want to step inside!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sounds so cute! My youngest is only in first grade but she's a very advanced reader, so I've been on the lookout for middle grade books that might appeal to her. Also, baking is a passion of mine after writing, and I love the idea of a story that revolves around it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. "Look at that cover" is EXACTLY what I thought when your post first popped up! LOL This looks gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the cover and it sounds delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments. Yay! They're almost as good as chocolate. Almost.