Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Insecure Writer's Support Group: Wrestling

Today's one of my non-Monday, special event posts--because I love the IWSG! If you write, Alex J. Cavanaugh has provided a monthly meet-up for writers in the blogosphere each first Wednesday. Sign up right here if it sounds like something for you.

At the start of January I wrote a post where I was all giddy about starting a new writing project. A few weeks later I posted that my project was still not underway because it was quite beastly and I knew writing it would be a struggle.

Today I'm thrilled to announce that the beast has taken shape. I STARTED IT! Finally. It's not a fast write, I backspace constantly, delete more words than I keep, but it's growing. And when I'm patient with this story, the fog dissipates, and a scene bursts through the gloom.

The story is acting the way I knew it would; I'm not surprised one bit. But I'll wrestle through, and one day it will shine. Maybe even extra bright because because of all the wrestling.

Got any great methods for writer's wrestling? I'd love to hear them.

18 comments:

  1. Awesome Barbara. I had to open a blank document and write Chapter One and put some words down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on starting that project!! When I read that you were skittish to begin writing the project because you knew it would be a beast to write, I almost leaped from my chair! That is exactly where I am right now. I did start chapter 1 yesterday, but 'The End' seems so far away. This book is a sequel and it't the first time I write one. It's a completely different storm in itself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woohoo! Here's to getting started. As to wrestling, sometimes there are no tricks or tips, you just have to hang in there until the story surrenders.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, Barbara! I love starting new projects almost as much as I love finishing one. When I started my last MG, I didn't think I'd ever come up with enough words to finish it, but I did. And, I love it! I think it is one of my best manuscripts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats, Barbra. Now there's not stopping you. It's always a great feeling when the words start to flow and you can't wait to start writing again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hurray and congratulations to you! I know this must be a wonderful feeling, and so exciting. Best of luck, and I'm so glad to meet you through the IWSG!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Way to wrestle that story down...congrats! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whoo, congrats! So awesome how you finally got to start this project! (Even if it is causing you to do some wrestling...haha.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on getting winning some of the wrestling match! I suggest trying different scenes from first and third, or from different characters . . .or at least trying it once.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats!!! you're finally making progress. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad your working on it. Keep wrestling!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you have scenes bursting through the gloom! Good luck with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm always wrestling, too! The struggle never quite stops.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think wrestling is just a fact of life in the writerly world. If it were easy, more peeps would do it and do it well. My next project will be rather beastly also. So beastly, I'm about to read Dune and take notes. Oh the dedication ..... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You'll come out a winner . . . just keep going back to the mat:-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yay, Barbara! Whoop whoop!!! :o)

    Hmm, ideas for writerly wrestling... I don't really have any. I just try to keep going, you know? I keep writing til it gets easier. And then sometimes that doesn't happen until revisions. :P

    Hang in there! You can do it~ <3

    ReplyDelete
  17. I know what you mean about being patient with a story. Sometimes I feel like I can just barrel through a scene and other times when I try to "force it" I realize I just need to take a step back and let it come on its own. It's so frustrating waiting, but so worth it in the end!

    ReplyDelete

Comments. Yay! They're almost as good as chocolate. Almost.