Monday, November 26, 2012

Marvelous Middle Grade Monday: Keeper of the Lost Cities

My thirteen-year-old daughter and I read Shannon Messenger's Keeper of the Lost Cities aloud together--yes, I know she is years beyond when most parents read aloud with their kids, but we totally enjoy it!--and when I talked about featuring Shannon's book for a Marvelous Middle Grade Monday, my daughter said, "Oh! Can I write it?" Pretty awesome, right?

Here are her words. She typed them in Blogger herself and followed the format I use on Marvelous Middle Grade Mondays:

The premise: Sophie Foster is a Telepath - someone who hears the thoughts of everyone around her. When she meets Fitz, a boy who is also a Telepath, Sophie is forced to leave life as she knows it. She is forced to leave her human family, whom she has been hidden with since birth. But Sophie discovers there is somewhere she might belong, though the very existence of this place defies everything she has ever learned. She has new rules to learn and a whole new world to take in but this won't stop her from asking questions. Like 'Who are her real parents?' and 'Why is she so different?'

What keeps readers reading: The action and the story. There is a lot of action from the start and the story is very in-depth so once you pick it up, you don't want to put it down. Along with the world-building Shannon Messenger had to do, the story line is very well written, and I can't wait to read the second book in the Keeper of the Lost Cities trilogy.

What I loved: I loved the whole story. I loved the action, suspense, the story line, the fantastical cities, all of it. I also loved how each of the characters Shannon created were distinctly different from everyone else in the story, just like real people. This is a great book and I highly suggest it to anyone!!
                                      
For more middle grade reviews, check
Happy middle grade reading!

 From Barbara's daughter

24 comments:

  1. Awesome review, Barbara's daughter. I can't wait for book 2 as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great that your daughter still reads aloud with you, Barbara. And she did a great job with the review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm reading Keepers right now and totally loving it. The world is perfect for MG readers and I'm all fan-girl over Sophie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barbara, please thank your daughter for us! What an incredible review, and I so enjoyed getting to hear her thoughts. I hope she decides to do more reviews for us in the future :) Also, I ADORED Keeper of the Lost Cities. It was truly an escape for me, the world building is incredible, and Sophie is such a likeable heroine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't catch that it was your daughter who wrote the review till I read some of the comments. Wow, she's good. And how sweet to read with each other.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awwww, this is one of my new favorite reviews--thank you so much! And a huge thank you to your daughter for all the kind words. <3!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so cool that your daughter did that review! I hope we hear more from her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to hear you and your daughter still read together. That's something I'm not looking forward to giving up. Maybe I won't have to!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think you're ever too old to read out loud with someone. I have very fond memories of my mother reading to us and I read to my hubby in the car until my carsickness became too bad. Now we have to rely on audiobooks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. GREAT review! This book sounds like loads of fun. My two daughters and I still read aloud together at bedtime, and we're looking for something new... I think we've found it! :o) <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice review. A job well done.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love that your daughter wrote the review! And my husband and I have been known to read something out loud that we want to read at the same time, so you're never too old :).

    ReplyDelete
  13. May we please have more reviews from your daughter? I loved this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like one my 12-yr-old would enjoy:-) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Not too old to read stories together at all! I love that you share that! This review is incredibly well written. I'd love to see more reviews from your daughter Barbara. It seems you might have another writer in the family. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great review! Tell you daughter she did great! Also glad to hear you both loved the book. I hope to read it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have this book, but none of my boys want to read it. I bought it to read to my 8 yo. She looked at the size of the book and said no way. :(

    Hopefully one day I'll get to read it to her. It's not my kind of book (I'm more about YA and New Adult novels), unless I'm reading it to one of my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your daughter wrote an excellent review! I think it is great that you read this book aloud with her. I still love to listen to books being read to me and I am an adult! I know my fifth grade students love read aloud. This book sounds so good and I cannot wait to get a chance to read it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love it when kids write reviews. Your daughter was awesome.

    I also love reading aloud with my kids; some people might say I like the sound of my own voice...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Aw, what a fab job your daughter did with that review! Been wanting to read this, but wow so much to read I can't keep up!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. She did a great job with that review! Good for her :) BTW- I still read to my soon to be 12 year old daughter almost every night, and I don't see any reason to stop either. We enjoy that time together. I think back to the days when reading books was the main source of entertainment and families read aloud to each other. I'm all for it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Whenever I see this book I want to get inside the story! Glad your daughter reviewed it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you, Barbara and daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  24. So fun how your daughter reviewed the Marvelous Middle Grade book for a change! This sounds like an interesting book. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments. Yay! They're almost as good as chocolate. Almost.