Monday, July 9, 2012

Marvelous Middle Grade Monday: Pie

Ever since I read Joanne Fritz's review of Pie by Sarah Weeks, I've been wanting to read it, and I knew it would be the type of book my daughter would love, so we read it aloud--together. She loved it! And so did I! But what's not to love about a book where each chapter begins with a very real and very yummy pie recipe? And when the pie recipes are woven into the very fabric of the story? Extra yummy.

The premise: There's no place Alice Anderson would rather be than with her Aunt Polly and in her aunt's pie shop. But when Aunt Polly suddenly dies, Alice is lost and lonely. Adding to that, Alice's aunt left her world-famous piecrust recipe to her fat, disagreeable cat Lardo, and Aunt Polly left Lardo to Alice. Nothing makes any sense anymore.

What keeps readers reading: The mystery. Pie is clever! And fun too. Someone is after Lardo, thinking he holds the key to the million dollar piecrust recipe. And everyone in town is suddenly baking pies, thinking they will be the next award-winning pie baker. But in the middle of it all is a girl who simply wants to set things right.

What I loved: The friendship that develops between Alice and a boy named Charlie. It lets readers know that even when we've lost someone dear, there are others who fill in our empty places.

For more middle grade recommendations, check Shannon Messenger's links. 
Happy middle grade reading!
 

24 comments:

  1. OK, this sounds really intriguing. And since I'm a pretty good hand with a pie myself I'm even more interested. It's going on the list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pies and cats...such an interesting story. LOve it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and pies are so great in the summertime, too! We had a raspberry-rhubarb pie this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, what a twisty story! sounds like a terrific read - thanks for recommending :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a fun read! I love that you and your daughter read it together!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My daughter loves cats. This might be a great book for me to read to her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds delightful! Who doesn't love pie and cats? It's going on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, that sounds super sweet. (no pun intended) ;)

    Thanks for sharing! I've got so many MG story ideas, but so little time....

    ReplyDelete
  9. HA! PK stole what I was thinking;-) Anything with a pie on the front cover will draw my attention~cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Again, it sounds really neat. I might see if my picky daughter is up for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that cover! Sounds like fun and delicious read!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds great, Barbara. I'm getting this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. With a daughter who is in those tween years I like the idea of a book that portrays an innocent friendship between boys and girls.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds like such a sweet book and different. Can't help but wonder about Lardo! I love that he's fat and disagreeable, instead of sweet and affectionate. Nice feline twist!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cute book! My girls love baking. We'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This book sounds SWEET!
    I wish you could've been there last night. We'll have to plan something...in, like, Ohio?
    Or a conference?

    ReplyDelete
  17. YAY for PIE! Thanks for the nod, Barbara. So glad you and your daughter loved it. It's such a fun book! Did you try any of the recipes yet?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I saw this one on ThisKidReviewsBooks and it's been on my tbr list ever since. I'm slowly whittling that sucker down. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow and wow on this one, Barbara. Sounds like one I must get read. And...boy howdy...I LOVE pie!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds like a fun book. I'll have to add this to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've been wanting to read it for a long time now. Maybe I need to move it up my TBR. :)

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! Sounds so original and fascinating. I missed the earlier review of this one, but will add it to my to read list now.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, was I way off with my guess! :) This does sounds like a good book, I must have missed Joanne's post. I adding it to the to-read pile!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I loved Pie! The characters and the story were such fun.

    I met Sarah Weeks at a book fair back in October and she talked about Pie and her other books. She is so nice and I love that kids can make pies, send in their pictures, and she will post them on her site. We are interviewing her on our blog in the next month or two and we can't wait to hear her answers to our questions.
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete

Comments. Yay! They're almost as good as chocolate. Almost.