Monday, June 4, 2012

Time Away

This week I'm spending a little time with family, which means heading to North Dakota's farmland. Not only were my parents and grandparents raised on northeastern North Dakota farms, but my current manuscript (a recently finished first draft) is set smack dab in this part of North Dakota.

This photo of my daughter and my mom was taken a few years ago, but this is the land my grandpa farmed. And although my grandpa is long gone, those are his grain bins, and someone else's North Dakota wheat still ripens in the backdrop.


This part of North Dakota is a place I can see, feel, taste, smell, and hear without effort because I visited so many times while growing up. The flat, open spaces. The inky black soil. The waving wheat. The eternity of sky. The warm summer breeze. The unique and quirky small towns. I love it all. If you've never seen a North Dakota prairie sunset splash its electric orange and hot pink ribbons across the sky, you've missed one of the most beautiful sunsets on earth.

The giveaway of a very special picture book is still open; scroll down one post to enter. I'll be back next Monday with something very new and very cool to announce, but for now, I'm gathering writing inspiration in North Dakota.

18 comments:

  1. How wonderful to write about a place you're so attached to. It sounds beautiful! Have fun on your vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a great trip. See you next week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on finishing that first draft! Have a fabulous time. Relax...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy your trip! I like how you left us with a teaser about next Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds wonderful - i hope you and the kids have an amazing time, and that you are freshly inspired by your own writing :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've painted quite a picture in this post! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great photo. Enjoy your vacation!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoy your time off. Hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have a great trip! I love ND. So peaceful there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have a great time! It looks so appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds wonderful, Barbara. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a feeling you'll return home refreshed and renewed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do hope you share photos and words with us upon your return! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Enjoy your trip! And I'm really looking foward to your news.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks, everyone! It was awesome but now I'm HOME. And that's good too.

    Now recovering from being gone. Y'all know how that is...

    ReplyDelete

Comments. Yay! They're almost as good as chocolate. Almost.