Monday, June 18, 2012

Marvelous Middle Grade Monday: 2012 Newberys and Editing Services Winners

First things first . . . 
Thank you for making my Editing Services launch fun and exciting! Please spread word to anyone who is looking for a freelance editor or contact me yourself if that person is you.

The winners of the 5,000 word Content Consults are:
and

Woot! Yay! Hooray!
I will email both of you in the next few days with specifics.

And now, Marvelous Middle Grade Monday . . .

The 2012 Newberys!

Dead End in Norvelt by Jack Gantos, this year's Newbery winner, is a humorous historical whose main character is named . . . Jack Gantos! How much of the story comes from the author's real boyhood I don't know, but this book has one of the funniest scenes I have EVER read. One night as I lay in bed reading, I laughed so hard and for so long and so loudly, I woke my husband, and my kids should have woken in their various rooms down the hall, but thunderstorms don't even wake them up. The scene involved deer hunting and farts (and makes me laugh just thinking about it).




Breaking Stalin's Nose by Eugene Yelchin (illustrated by him too), is historical also. It is searching, sad, and triumphant. It's a look inside the Soviet Union during the rough and turbulent times of Stalin's reign. A time when citizens were told to spy on one another for the future glory of their country. A time when citizens were lied to, treated harshly, and foreigners completely untrusted. What Sasha Zaichik learns about his country, that maybe the government is all built on lies, breaks your heart.





Inside Out & Back Again by Thanhha Lai is ALSO a historical (YAY! I have a deep love for middle grade historicals), and this one is set as Saigon falls to the North Vietnamese. It is also a novel in verse, and part of its beauty comes in its sparse but perfect word choices. Ha, the main character, has only known her country at war, but as Saigon falls, she and her family must flee without knowing if her father is dead or alive. They end up in Alabama, adjusting to everything that is so different than what they know and love, and still wondering what happened to Ha's father.

That's my take on this year's Newberys. Have you read them yet?
For more middle grade recommendations, visit Shannon Messenger's links. 

Happy middle grade reading! 

23 comments:

  1. I haven't read any of these yet, Barbara. Thanks for drawing them to my attention. I think I'd especially enjoy Inside Out and Back Again, but I'm going to look for them all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read any of those either. Thanks for the recommendations. My family is always asking me about MG novels for their kids so I like to have some suggestions on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea who the Newbery winners were for this year. I love the cover for Inside Out & Back again. It's so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read any of these. Inside Out sounds good. Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recently read Dead End in Norvelt. It had elements I really liked and others not so much. Definitely not what I was expecting. The other two are on my tbr list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE history. I'm going to check those books out for my 11 year old. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My daughter and friends read Dead End In Norvelt for Battle of the Books at school last month - they enjoyed it. I still need to pick up the other two. I missed your Editing Services post - will go check it out now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have only read the third one and I loved it...what a powerful story sparsely told. Was amazed at how it captured the spirit and voice of the MC and how you could so clearly see her arc.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been wanting to read the third one and then forgot about it. Thanks a lot for the reminder :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. congrats to the lucky winners!

    and what great summaries of the newbery winners! they look great -- i really need to get on them. it's funny how such terrific books can be completely off your radar :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I gave up on Inside Out and Back again, something I rarely do (especially with a verse novel!) But I was in Las Vegas at the time so maybe I should give it another chance.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the update! With life being so crazy right now I missed it this year. Last year I watched live on the web. I'm such a nerd.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats to the editing services winners!

    I loved Inside Out and Back Again. It appears I should give Norvelt another chance, especially if it made you crack up so loudly and lengthily.

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOL! What's not to love about Deer hunting and farts :) That cracks me up! Hope the launch is going well - best of luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I suppose it's time to get over my grumpiness that MY picks didn't win, and read these deserving books. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Barbara! I have "Inside Out and Back Again" checked out from the library. I didn't realize it was in verse until I opened it at home, and I have never read a novel in verse so I am excited to broaden my horizons!

    Congrats again on the Editing Business... and congrats to the winners of the 5,000 word consults!

    Hop on over to my blog, I have passed the Liebster Blog award on to you! And don't worry if this is not something you participate in... I'm sure there are more productive things I could be doing with my time! But I wanted to let you know I am happy to have found you and your blog! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. They are all on my list. I love that there is so much variety in the winners and nominees this year. I'm sure it was a difficult choice.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats! to PK and Rosi! And I;ve seen Dead End in Norvelt on a few blogs. Any book with farts in is is A-okay with me!

    ReplyDelete
  19. YAY!! How wonderful for me and Rosi! Look forward to working with you. :)

    THose books sound amazing. Wish my TBR wasn't so long already.

    ReplyDelete
  20. All three of these have been on my to-read list for a while. Thanks for the reminder. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've been wanting to read these too. Thanks Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've been meaning to read Inside out & Back Again. Currently listening to a lot of audiobooks since I feel like I've been so busy lately.

    ReplyDelete

Comments. Yay! They're almost as good as chocolate. Almost.