Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The Power of Books

I had an hour with twenty fourth grade girls. Talking about books. And the wonder they contain. And the worlds you can visit in them. Making and drinking 'Dump Punch' and crafting yard candles from paper lunch sacks, sand, and votive candles.

Twenty girls, whose eyes lit like Fourth of July sparklers when I handed out specially printed World Book Night 2012 copies of Because of Winn-Dixie.

One hug. Given to me. By one of the girls. It made the entire experience simply perfect.


My Giver Box is now empty, and my heart is full. And twenty fourth grade girls learned about the power of books. Thank you to all who made World Book Night possible.

12 comments:

  1. The power of books? How about the power of teachers? I'm sure you planted many seeds that night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds so awesome. What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Next year I want to do world book night!
    Glad it was such a good experience for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How awesome is that! I'm so glad you were able to experience that! Aren't kids wonderful? (well, most of the time anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope I get to do this next year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like a perfect evening! So glad it was a good experience.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you're interested for next year, check the website. I think you can already sign up with an email address for notifications and such!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I should have done this with my daughter's fourth grade class! She still fights reading.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful experience, for you and the girls.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is so sweet. That would have definitely made my day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. sounds like a wonderful event! with dump punch and everything. i linked you story to my post :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments. Yay! They're almost as good as chocolate. Almost.