Monday, April 16, 2012

Marvelous Middle Grade Monday: The Shifter

First things first, the winner of my ARC of Three Times Lucky is . . .
Yay! Email your mailing address to barbarawatson94(at)gmail(dot)com.

Today's feature is The Shifter by Janice Hardy, but my daughter -- a middle grade reader! -- wrote this Marvelous Middle Grade Monday post and chose the book. The format follows my usual but the words are hers! (Okay, I did act as an editor.) So here we go . . .

The premise: Nya is an orphan and a Taker, with her touch, she can heal injuries by pulling pain from another person into her own body. But unlike Tali, Nya's sister, and other Takers who become Healer's League apprentices, Nya can't push the pain into pynvium, the enchanted metal used to store it. Nya can only shift the pain into another person, a dangerous skill she must keep hidden from the occupying forces of her city. If discovered, she could be used as a human weapon. But then Tali and other apprentices begin to disappear.

What keeps readers reading: The action and the search for Nya's sister Tali. This book is filled with excitement and challenge because Nya is desperate to find her sister and makes some choices she probably wouldn't have if her sister were not missing.

What I loved: I loved the action and excitement! I also loved that The Shifter shows what a person will do when they love someone.

There you have it, a middle grade book in the words of a middle grader! This is Janice Hardy's first in her Healing Wars Trilogy, so more action and excitement can be found in Blue Fire and Darkfall. Next week's Marvelous Middle Grade Monday will feature my son and his choice!

For more middle grade recommendations, visit my Middle Grade Monday tab or  
Happy middle grade reading!

19 comments:

  1. Now that's exciting! A Middle Grade review by a middle-grader.LOved her review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Barbara's daughter. I love this book and your review is so on point as to why this book is so good. I'm really glad you shared it. If you haven't read the other two books in the series, you should. Hope you review here more often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like such an interesting story! Thanks for the review. It's great to get the perspective of someone who is in the target market for the book. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As much as I love reading the responses of MG-loving adults, I LOVE hooking up with actual middle graders! After all, that's who we're writing for! Great review, Miss Watson. This is one I'm adding to my summer reading list. Hope to see you on again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the cover! http://1000wrongs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can I just say how much I LOVE the idea that you had your kids do this! Your daughter's review was awesome. And so is Janice Hardy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Barbara, your daughter wrote a great review! I love how she summed up the book in this one statement:

    "The Shifter shows what a person will do when they love someone."

    Nice job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW...awesome job and I definitely will be reading this book. Looking forward to more of your recommendations, daughter of Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I adored all three of these books, so it's fun to read a review of them written by a middle-grader. Nicely done!

    Barbara, if you're not careful, your kids might take over your blog completely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is such a super amazing premise. I MUST read this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My boys have the first two books in the series but they never got into them. For the 12 yo, the issue was the gender. No girl protags for him. For my 9 yo, well, he doesn't like to read. Period.

    So the books are mine. Mine. Mine!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow - terrific cover. I would have grabbed it off the shelf at my library when I was a kid :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Barbara's daughter. You did a great job and I think we may have the same taste in books. This sounds like something I'd pick up from the description. You've inspired me to add it to my Goodreads to Read list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My daughter has enjoyed each comment! She's considering sharing other books in the future but thinks it's A LOT of work getting her thoughts written down. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been a long time admirer of Hardy's excellent writing blog, but I haven't gotten around to reading her first book yet. This is the push I need.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds really good. I hadn't heard of it before but looks really good and something I'd be interested in reading.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice review! Your sentence about the choices the character makes has me intrigued...

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great review! Tell you daugher she did a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great review! I love it when kids write reviews. This is another one I really want. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments. Yay! They're almost as good as chocolate. Almost.