Monday, February 27, 2012

Marvelous Middle Grade Monday:May B.

May B. by Caroline Starr Rose has been featured several times on other people's Marvelous Middle Grade Mondays, but when I love a book, I want to spread its loveliness too! So here's my take on May B.

The premise: Mavis Elizabeth Betterly, May B., lives in 1870's Kansas. She has a brother she adores and a loving family too, but she has trouble in school--particularly with reading. When May's family needs some extra money, May is sent fifteen miles away to be a helper on the Oblinger's homestead. In a twist of circumstance, May ends up alone on the homestead. Winter is approaching, supplies are running low, and no one knows she is alone.

What keeps readers reading: Finding out what happens to May, of course! But there's more to it than that. While May is alone, she decides who she is and who she wants to be. It is this journey that compels the reader further and further into this novel told in verse. A girl in pioneer times didn't have many choices about who she should be, but readers of May B. get to witness one girl who does.

What I loved: Caroline Starr Rose's word choices are perfect (PERFECT I tell you), but so is May's fighting spirit. The "I'm going to be better than who people say I am" aspect of this book swept me away.

Travel the links located in my Middle Grade Monday tab for more recommendations.
Happy middle grade reading!   

12 comments:

  1. SNAP! It's double love for May B. today, as the Mafiosi are also celebrating it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Make that a TRIPLE love, because my MMGM of today is about May B. :-)
    I finally got a copy from the library and cannot wait to dive into it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How crazy is that, you guys? Guess we sure know how to pick 'em, don't we?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked that book. But you know me and free verse . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you featured this one because I hadn't heard of it before! There seem to be several historical fiction MGs out lately and I think that's great for kids!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love seeing all the reviews of MAY B. It's such a wonderful, beautiful story and deserves to be raved about. I loved it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't wait to read this. ARgh, there are too many great books on my TBR list and not enough time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just noticed you have 100 followers - Yeah!!! I won a copy of May B. back when it was making the rounds and hope to get to it soon. Everyone has such high praise for it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, what a fantastic premise, and I didn't realise it was in verse! I'm going to reward myself with a copy for finishing this revision, because it sounds SO up my alley. If you loved it, have you read THE EVOLUTION OF CALPURNIA TATE? Highly recommended.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read CALPURNIA TATE and loved that one too!

      Delete
  10. You're the second person I've seen blog about this book! It's usually not the kind I read, but I do like what I've heard about it so far, so I may just have to check it out sometime.

    ReplyDelete

Comments. Yay! They're almost as good as chocolate. Almost.