D is for DANGER! Middle grade characters must be placed in it. *cue strange, eerie music* No matter how much we love our characters, danger needs to find them. Peril is necessary. They must meet a threat, encounter risk, or hazard their way through crisis. *strange, eerie music concludes* And it can come in many forms and follow various avenues.
- Danger can be internal, coming from inside our character
- Danger can come from what other characters think, say, or do
- Danger can mean being found out
- Danger can come from a character's fears
- Danger can result from a physical setting