Thursday, October 20, 2011

The ABC's of Middle Grade Writing

As I spend the next weeks, errrrrrr, make that months, whipping my manuscript into querying shape, I thought dialoguing about the essentials of awesome middle grade writing would help my whip crack a little better. Or stronger. Or louder. Whatever. Anyway, what I'm doing for the next 26 Thursdays......well, maybe a few more--a smart planner always allows extra time. Okay, for the next lots and lots of Thursdays, I'll assign a middle grade topic to each letter of the alphabet with hopes it will energize my whip cracking (and yours too).

I have to admit, I'm totally stealing this alphabet idea from Andrea Mack (who writes a cool middle grade blog at That's Another Story). She has a superb alphabet list in her sidebar. What I didn't do, however, is peek back at her list while I was making mine. Seriously. No peeking. No kidding. Some of our letters may match but by coincidence only. I spent forever (not really, but I did spend a really, really long time) putting my alphabet topics together.

So, come along for my middle grade alphabet ride. Each Thursday. Right here. To lure you back next Thursday ------> A is for Adventure (and that is my ONLY sneak peek at ANY letter). Make sure your whip is in hand because this is intended to be a dialogue, where our ideas inspire each other and spur one another to write better, stronger, and louder.

14 comments:

  1. I'll be looking forward to seeing what X is for -- and all the other letters, too. :) I'm right where you are: revising to kick it up a notch to "querying shape."

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is going to be fun to follow. I'm curious to find out what letters apply to my current MG wip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting! You are such a creative blogger, Barbara.

    Happy laundry folding, kids. (You have to be on Twitter to get this, folks!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hoping my topics are exciting and applicable. Most of all, I'm looking forward to learning from YOU guys. Snap those whips, people! (not really at me though, please)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hard to crack a whip that far, for me at least! You are so organized!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun! I love stuff like that. Now I want to do an alphabet list. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kristen, your input is all the whip cracking needed.

    Lisa, come back and give insight. It relates to ALL writing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great idea! I'm excited! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a good idea. I'll definitely check out these posts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can't wait for next Thursday! What a cool idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh, Barbara, this sounds like fun! It will be neat to see what you come up with (you'll notice I didn't get too far with X and Z).

    I do find that when I'm putting together the posts, it gets me thinking more deeply about a specific aspect of writing for my age group.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay! Can't wait for the input from ya'll.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a FANTASTIC idea. I seriously can't wait to get reading. I'm writing YA right now, but you know middle grade is very close to my heart. I'm so looking forward to next Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amie, your enthusiasm makes me even more excited than I was! :-D

    ReplyDelete

Comments. Yay! They're almost as good as chocolate. Almost.