Monday, September 19, 2011

Marvelous Middle Grade Monday: Peter Nimble and His Fantastic Eyes

Peter Nimble and His Fantstic Eyes is an incredible read and a magnificent read-aloud! My kids and I finished reading it together last week, and while I completely stink at character voices when reading aloud, this debut novel by Jonathan Auxier (released in August 2011) demands unique voices for each character. Each character is that developed and that easily pictured. During the reading of this book, my kids begged, "One more chapter? Please?" and "No! Don't stop there!" each time our reading concluded. We laughed, we cheered, we booed, we perched on the edges of our seats, and we totally LOVED this book!

The premise: Orphaned Peter Nimble is blind. He is also a thief. Not just any thief, but the greatest thief who ever lived. One afternoon during his burgling, he steals a box containing three pairs of magical eyes. When he puts in the first pair, he's transported to an island and presented with a journey. A journey that involves rescuing a kingdom from a traitorous king - in a world beyond known borders. And so begins Peter's escapade into destiny.

What keeps readers reading: The suspense. The characters. The plot. The action. So very, very many things keep readers reading Peter Nimble and His Fantastic Eyes that I cannot name them all. Peter Nimble himself is a character who grows right in your heart. You love him, you want to help him, and you live his life as you read. Jonathan Auxier has a knack for writing a serious, action-packed scene that somehow has you laughing out-loud at the same time. And as a mom, I have to say, when I was reading, I wanted to take Peter Nimble aside, hug him, and tell him everything's gonna be okay. Luckily for Peter, he encountered friends along his journey that have his back.

If I haven't gushed enough, when I read the last sentence and closed this book, my son said, "That's an awesome story." My daughter took the book from my hands, hugged it to her chest, and asked, "Can we read it again?"

Don't forget the other MMGMers!
Find their links in my right sidebar ~~~~~~~>

Happy middle grade reading! 

11 comments:

  1. I SO want to read this. I was sorry I didn't have time to get the ARC before my interview with Jonathan. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I won the ARC from Shannon Whitney Messenger awhile ago, and just starting reading it aloud with my 9 year old. We're hooked!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I am so eager to read this one. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I loved your son and daughter's reaction at the end of the book. I adore books that I want to read all over again from the beginning.

    Nice job, Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the commendations from your children. I have heard about this book a number of times and it sounds wonderful. TBR pile.

    (Thanks for the welcome to Twitter and the shout-out re. Middle Grade Mafioso. It's been a busy day!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so down with the gushing! Great review and you are so right about this one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This book so fits the marvelous category! And I, too, loved my kids reactions!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great premise! I'm guessing that the each of the three eyes represents a different book in the series? Or did they use the other 2 pairs in this book?

    Kid tested, mother approved! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. No, Danika, not a series - the other two pairs reveal themselves in this book! In surprising, plot-twisting fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ummm, I need this. Great review and I can't get enough of that cover. I'm excited to read it.

    ReplyDelete

Comments. Yay! They're almost as good as chocolate. Almost.