Monday, September 26, 2011

Marvelous Middle Grade Monday: The Owl Keeper

I was sold on this book by the cover alone, but what's inside is just as wonderful. The Owl Keeper is dark and mysterious but I love the way it keeps hope tucked in a back pocket. That combination makes this book truly magical as Christine Brodien-Jones creates a world where villains are ugly and friends are supportive, but what if you don't know the villains are villains, and what if you've never had a friend? When the High Echelon declares silver owls are extinct, Maxwell Unger doesn't know what to think when one appears in a tree he visits each night.

The premise: When Max's grandma was alive, he was brave. They walked in the forest while she told stories about nature, silver owls, and the Owl Keeper. But then the Great Destruction came, Gran died, silver owls became extinct, and all Gran's books were destroyed. But after a time a silver owl appeared. And then a girl. Max knows he must be brave once again.

What keeps readers reading: A fantastical world where a boy, a girl, and an owl fight to make right what has been wrong for so long. Most people don't remember - or simply don't care - what's wrong anymore because the High Echelon has made life pleasant, comfy, and cozy. Those that don't think so are.......discarded. It's up to Max, his friend Rose, and a silver owl to discover if Gran's stories about the Owl Keeper are truly real.

Other MMGMers and their reviews
Links are in my right sidebar ~~~~~~~>

Happy middle grade reading!
And.....tomorrow is special. Return (tomorrow) to discover why.....  

9 comments:

  1. This sounds like an amazing read. I love the cover art and, by your description, could just see it becoming a movie.

    I had not heard of it, so thank you for bringing it to my attention.

    (And I'm really interested in what awaits us tomorrow... can't wait to find out.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooooh. My daughter is hooked on the guardians of Gauhollinoononon (I forget how to spell it.), I bet she would love this. Great pick. LOVE the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds good. I love the cover. Looking forward to tomorrow too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that cover is stunning! How could you not reach for it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my. I MUST read this. Sounds wonderful. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another great find for my girls!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE, love, love the cover!!! And the book was a great read! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This really is a delicious read. My daughter, like me, was taken in by the cover but when she opened the cover and read.....she couldn't close it (and read anywhere and everywhere until she was finished)!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Of course, lol...I do remember this one now! Thanks for the reminder...man, so many books to read. Need to organize a MG Read-A-Thon or something!

    ReplyDelete

Comments. Yay! They're almost as good as chocolate. Almost.