Friday, July 8, 2011

When Bad is Good

Motion sickness. It hits me hard and horribly. On curvy roads (unless I'm driving). In the movie theater (yes, really). On airplanes (dramamine usually suffices here). In boats (if it's wavy). On amusement park rides (ohhhh, these are the worst). And I'm sure motion sickness will rear it's ugly head for me in places yet unimagined.

Today my husband and kids, along with my brother and two of his three girls, are flipping, skimming, flying, and zooming on rides at Valleyfair (the Minneapolis version of Six Flags). I stayed home. Just the thought of roller coasters, rides that spin madly, or creations that turn me upside down send my stomach astir (and worse if I get on them).

I'm enjoying a quiet day at home. All alone. Twelve hours with nobody here but me and my dog. This happens.....ummmm......never. So although motion sickness is bad, today it is good.

Turn this idea on yourself. Apply the idea of something bad becoming good. And tell me, when is bad good for you?

9 comments:

  1. hahaha, sorry but I had to laugh. You and I will get along just fine. I'm a lame companion when it comes to amusement parks. My hubby is the thrill seeker. I just can't ... can't get on any of those and not get sick, or be frightened out of my skin.
    On one occasion though I was able to brave the sky high escalators at The Universal Studios in CA. I was so proud, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem with laughing! I laugh about it (now) too. I used to love rides, especially roller coasters, but they're a whole different story when they make you sicker than you've ever been in your life. My quiet day at home has been a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love roller coasters but my middle child and husband are on your team. Congrats on the much accomplished!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roller coasters are for other people. My mantra. =) And thank you. I forgot how much can get done when no one else is home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a solitary day today too! It was lovely. —I made jam, did six loads of laundry and worked on book revisions. :) Thank you for this post . . . for reminding me that "me time" is okay. Healthy. Good for me, even!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with you, Barbara. I also suffer from motion sickness. But the minute I get into a car, and especially on longer trips, my creative switch turns on. My husband usually drives and I jot down notes and ideas, make up rhymes,...I get a bit car sick, but I continue anyway. I guess I am "driven" to create! For me, the bad of motion sickness often yields something good - a story idea or a poem.
    Enjoy your quiet day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beth, we shared our solitary day, separately. =) Glad you had one too.

    Iza, how wonderful you can use that car time for creativity! I get too ill when reading or writing while I'm the passenger. What a good way to pass the time of travel for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, roller coasters, ugh! Terrifying! Sounds like a win-win solution, though--everybody gets what they most want!

    ReplyDelete
  9. True, Amie, we enjoyed our day in different ways. I loved roller coasters...until motion sickness moved in a few years ago. Now I can't even read in the car.....

    ReplyDelete

Comments. Yay! They're almost as good as chocolate. Almost.