Monday, July 18, 2011

Marvlous Middle Grade (Minnesota) Monday: Emmy and the Incredible Shrinking Rat


Emmy and the Incredible Shrinking Rat, written by Lynne Jonell, is the first in a series about a girl named Emmy, her talking rat friend, and an evil nanny named Miss Barmy. This highlight continues my focus on middle grade authors from my home state. Published in 2007, this novel begins Emmy's adventure, Emmy and the Home for Troubled Girls continues it, and new to bookstores is Emmy and the Rats in the Bellfry.

The premise: Everyone forgets Emmy, even her parents, although Emmy attempts to be good, as good as she can be. One day, a boy named Joe and a talking rat notice her, and Emmy is astounded. Emmy's creepy nanny, Miss Barmy, however, is plotting Emmy's demise, and Emmy doesn't know why but determines to find answers.

What keeps readers reading: An unlikely cast of characters. Rodents are good, nannies are bad, and professors are both. And parents? When parents forget, they must be saved! But with so many adults forgetting and other adults full of creepiness, Emmy and her friends must figure out who can be trusted. In Emmy and the Incredible Shrinking Rat, Lynne Jonell weaves a funny, mysterious, and creepy tale.

Other MMGMers and their choices this week:
Please follow the links in my right sidebar ~~~~~~~~~~~>

Happy middle grade reading!  

10 comments:

  1. This is definitely out of the ordinary for me. Rodents are supposed to be bad. ;p
    I'm curious to read how the author managed such an originality. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the alliteration -- and the idea -- of Marvelous Middle Grade Mondays (Minnesota). This a great format for a book review. I'm intrigued by the notion of a shrinking rat, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Original - yes, this book is! And Ms. Jonell's writing twists with fascinating, fun verbs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't read books about rats or mice because I am really grossed out by them, which is frustrating because I know a lot of them are good! I can't even go to Redwall. Bummer.
    I got my daughter The Secret of Zoom while I was in Iowa City, which is also by Lynne Jonell. How funny! She just started reading it--will let you know what she thinks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for highlighting this one, Barbara! It sounds fantastic and a for sure read and share series!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kristen, that's funny about the rodents! This book (and series) might help you. =) My son read THE SECRET OF ZOOM; I have not.

    Deb, yes! My kids attend a book club which Lynne Jonell visited (this book was the book of the month). Read and share away.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reminds me a bit of Ramona. Clever and clever plot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. M Pax: thank you for visiting! This book is clever.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds really fun, but I'm going to be hard to convince that rodents are good. Well, maybe not, E.B. White's spider and Beverly Cleary's mouse went a long way to improve their image.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pam, I know, but this rat is COOL! =)

    ReplyDelete

Comments. Yay! They're almost as good as chocolate. Almost.