Wednesday, June 1, 2011

The Writer's Life

Only recently have I logged into the writer's life, and even more recently have I come to more fully understand what that means. And you'll have to excuse me, being new in my writerly skin means I make all kinds of mistakes. For example, I use way too many adverbs (and I actually like them), but I'm learning. Many things. About writing and the writer's life. And how that fits into the other life I've been living all my life.

One thing about the writer's life that struck me like a fun surprise party where I'm the clueless surprised one was the support system writers provide. The writers I've met encourage, strengthen, brace, foster, reassure, spur, sustain, and fortify me. Daily. I have no idea why I was surprised (shocked really) by this support system, but I was. And continue to be. Daily.

Some of these writers I've met in person, others I've connected with through blogs, Twitter, or emails, but the result is always the same - a community who extends a hand and assists me as I build my writer's life, brick by brick, word by word. And I thank you, each of you, for helping me wrap myself more comfortably in my writerly skin.

Was there anything that surprised you about the writer's life?

9 comments:

  1. I was surprised by how accessible published writers are through their blogs and how much fun it is to meet them at book signings. Shannon Hale recognized my name in the book she was personalizing and asked if I read her blog. When I said I did, she stood up and gave me a hug and said how happy she was to finally meet me. It blew me away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Myrna, I know what you mean. Some of the writers I spoke of in this post are published writers. And care about what I have to say too. I found that surprising as well - legs-become-jelly surprising.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite thing about our blogging circle is the support network and genuine friendship it provides! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two things surprised me when I started reaching out and getting to know other writers: how different we were, and how the same.

    The things I thought would be similar (how we get ideas, our writing processes, how creativity works) were so varied and colorful that I still haven't stopped wondering at it. And where I thought I was completely alone, it turned out I wasn't: so many people out there struggle in the same ways I do, with the same fears and blockages, and the same goals and setbacks.

    I can't imagine trying to do this before the internet made this kind of connection and communication possible!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shannon, I agree - and I'm a newbie in that circle, so I thank you and the others for support and friendship.

    Meagan, how true! Different yet the same. I hadn't thought of it quite that way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was just commenting about this on someone else's blog (tiptoe kisses)! How weird? I've only been blogging for three weeks or so, and I feel like I am being embraced by this wonderful community of writers on line. I really, really needed to connect with writers and it has made me feel so much better about writing.
    I've been writing for years, trying to do it all alone, and it kind of stunk except when I was distracted by a story. Okay, it really stunk.
    I'm so glad you posted about this!
    Thanks, Barbara--it's been great getting to know you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kristen, I wrote alone for about a year (even though the first thing a published author told me to do was connect with other writers). After that year I discovered this: writing is a solitary activity that cannot be done alone. It's been a pleasure getting to know you too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have really enjoyed getting to know more writers. They seem to come out of the woodwork as soon as you announce you are a writer! The variability between writers is astounding.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rebecca, thank you for stopping by (and the blog follow)! Writers and their writing: no two are the same, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Comments. Yay! They're almost as good as chocolate. Almost.