Friday, June 24, 2011

Reading Diverse

What if everyone were exactly like me? Eek!! That is more than frightening, maybe even more so for my husband and kids. Ahem *clears throat* Yes, well, they won't be guest blogging about that anytime soon. But in all seriousness, take a moment and ponder that. What if everyone was the same? What if there were no pronounced differences in people? What if we all thought the same, looked the same, had the same interests, and acted the same?

B.o.r.i.n.g. beyond boring. It's our differences that make the difference and scoop in the interesting. We all know that. But, hover on this a minute or two: When you read books, do you consider if you're reading across a broad scope, one that represents the beautiful array of people that inhabit our world? Hmmmmm. Yes. Hover there. Weave it into the fiber of your being.

And once you do that, visit  this post. It challenges you to diversify your reading over the summer and, afterward, share your experience with others. There's also a horde of very cool prizes (BOOKS! What could be better?) involved. I'm joining the challenge and challenge you to do the same.
.

11 comments:

  1. Does it mean you're joining in? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! And I saw that you were too! Cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh great! I'll do this. Looks like a great resource.
    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristen, yay! I'm looking mostly for MG stuff. We should email each other ideas. One I've been wanting to read for a long time and haven't yet is ONE CRAZY SUMMER. It fits this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! Kristen in in too. I've started compiling a list as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am soooo bad at reading a wide range of books. I know what I like, etc. etc., insert list of excuses here! I'll have to check out that challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Meagan, do check it out. It's a cool thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome that you two are joining. I wish I could but I'm on a reading schedule for my interviews. But I do try to read diverse books. It's so important.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooooo, Natalie, I'm looking forward to reading those interviews!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some of the biggest lessons I've learned came from reading outside my genre. :)

    Angela @ The Bookshelf Muse

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, Angela. So important to learn about something beyond ourselves.

    ReplyDelete

Comments. Yay! They're almost as good as chocolate. Almost.