Monday, June 13, 2011

Marvelous Middle Grade (Minnesota) Monday: The Mostly True Story of Jack

The Mostly True Story of Jack, written by Kelly Barnhill, will be released in early August 2011 by Little, Brown (I was thrilled to receive an advance reading copy). Ms. Barnhill has numerous non-fiction books published for kids, but this is her debut novel. The Mostly True Story of Jack  weaves a tale riddled with mystery, friendship, magic, and home. An even blend of unique boy and girl characters mixed with eerie but delightful creepiness produces a book any reader will devour.

The premise: All his life Jack has been invisible, forgotten really, especially within his own family. When he is sent to live with his aunt and uncle in Hazelwood, Iowa, Jack expects to remain forgotten but instead he's noticed - almost like everyone has been awaiting his arrival. Jack makes friends, the bully is after him and not someone else, and the town's most powerful man shadows him.

What keeps readers reading: Suspense interlaced with characters you care for (and some you don't). The Mostly True Story of Jack balances mystery reveal and character building in a tantalizing manner with Kelly Barnhill striking just the right mix of 'sticking up for your friends' and 'what will happen next?' Jack, the forgotten boy, finds mystery, friendship, and magic, but just where is home?

Other MMGMers reviews this week:
Please locate their links in my right sidebar ~~~~~~> 

15 comments:

  1. I haven't heard about this. The premise of an invisible boy who gets noticed sounds really interesting. Glad you got an advance copy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I follow Kelly on Twitter and she's really clever. I've read her blog, too, which is always well-written, so this book is on my list.
    I didn't realize it hadn't come out yet, so it's okay I haven't rushed to the bookstore. Phew.
    Very well-written review! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I read "creepy" I'm there.
    I had no idea this was coming out, but then again there are so many amazing books coming out this month.
    Thanks for the review. It's going on my list of TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cool cover! I haven't seen an arc of this yet. Your review has me salivating to read this now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds really great! The whole premise is so interesting, mainly because most MG kids want to blend into the background and will go to great lengths to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds great! And you've gotta love that cover, wow.

    I'm only just recently getting into MG books, but I'm so glad I have been! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the review! I hadn't heard of this one, and it sounds like an interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This has such a powerful story weave; it's incredible. It is one to salivate over.

    School Library Journal put this novel on a projection list for a Newbery! You can find the article at http://blog.schoollibraryjournal.com on June 7, 2011! Pretty cool stuff - the book and the article!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much for the review, Barbara! I'm so glad you dug the book.

    And I can't wait to read your assessment of THE TANGLEWOOD TERROR as well - my son and I have been LOVING it!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds intersting. I'll have to put it on my To Read List. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't seen this one yet! Must. Have. It sounds awesome. Thanks for the review. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great review! Thanks to you, I am going to have to chase down this enticing-sounding novel!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The cover is amazing...and the story sounds amazing too. Great pick.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kelly, you are welcome! Thank you for sharing Jack and his story with all of us!

    Pick up your copy, everyone! I think Aug. 2, 2011, is the exact release date. You don't want to miss this one!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like a great book (writing it down on my list of books to get).

    ReplyDelete

Comments. Yay! They're almost as good as chocolate. Almost.