Monday, June 6, 2011

Marvelous Middle Grade (Minnesota) Monday: The Remarkable & Very True Story of Lucy & Snowcap

The Remarkable & Very True Story of Lucy & Snowcap by H.M. Bouwman begins my Marvelous Middle Grade Minnesota Mondays! All summer I'll be posting MMGMMs rather than MMGMs as I feature authors who live in my home state.

H.M. Bouwman has graciously donated a signed copy of this truly remarkable book which will be given to a random commentor on this post. Comment by midnight CST on Thursday, June 9th; winner revealed here on Friday, June 10th! (Mailed only within US or Canada). My blog's very first give-away! 

The Remarkable & Very True Story of Lucy & Snowcap was published in 2008 and is currently a finalist for the National Homeschool Book Award. Click here to find out more about this award. With its magical mix of fantasy with a history twist, this book will appeal to all readers.

The premise: When Lucy's baby brother is born, the midwife instructs her to take him to the Lifestone Garden and leave him there to die. She suspected this might happen, for all the men and boys in the Colay Islands have recently turned to stone. As she climbs the mountain to the statue garden, little Rob's foot turns cold and hardens. But Lucy is strong and wills her brother to live.

What keeps readers reading: Adventure, magic, and irresistible characters. Ms. Bouwman weaves two very different (but somehow very alike) twelve-year-olds, Lucy and Snowcap, into a mysterious adventure fraught with kidnapping, escapes, thieves, rebellion, and magic. If Rob is to survive, he needs Lucy and Snowcap, natural enemies, to work together, trust one another, and rely on the stories that live in each of them.

Because my kids and I read this novel aloud together (and they are the book's target audience) and because I know Ms. Bouwman personally, I'm including excerpts from my kids' reading journals. My son said: The author gives vivid descriptions. I can see what's happening and fully imagine the characters. My daughter said: I like the story plan. It's very interesting and the characters come to life. I enjoy the sense of adventure and Lucy's mission.

Thank you, Heather, for writing this remarkable story and sharing it with readers, young, old, and everyone between.

Other MMGMers reviews this week:
Find their links in my right sidebar ~~~~~~>  

14 comments:

  1. Thanks Barbara! I'm organizing a book club for the summer and looking for good books. Do you recommend for boys?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like the perfect book for my granddaughter! Glad to have found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of this one, and it sounds intriguing. Thanks for the giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a good one! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I should read this, since I have a fantasy/history twist in my WIP. I really like the sound of this premise!
    Thanks for another cool review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. great pick. Love the cover. wow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! Sounds like you have a couple of potential writers on your hands! I love that. It sounds like a wonderful premise. I love magic. (duh, right?) :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds weird, original and wonderful. Put my name in the random hat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds very original. Thanks for spotlighting it, and Minnesota! (I was wondering what the extra "M" meant!!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. All your names (and anyone else who comments by the above-stated deadline) will be in the drawing for this marvelous book! Winner announced on Friday, June 10th.

    Lisa, both my kids say, "I don't like writing; it's hard." I answer, "Yes, it IS hard, but you're good at it."

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great review. What a compelling premise. I love the name, Snowcap.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the sound of this. :)
    I'm so behind in my middle grade reads... so when I get back to it, maybe I should be a total copycat and see if I can do the same all summer and feature authors in AZ.
    I'm going to tweet it and hope you get more traffic.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We started this yesterday and are thoroughly enjoying the creativity and uniqueness of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Haven't heard of this, so thanks for the recommendation. And good for you for doing Minnesota Mondays!

    ReplyDelete

Comments. Yay! They're almost as good as chocolate. Almost.