Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Growing Writing

Because I need direction and order, when I joined Marvelous Middle Grade Mondays (MMGM - a group of writers/bloggers who review and promote middle grade lit) several weeks ago, I needed a formula for reviews. After thinking awhile I came up with this:
  • title of book; blurb about publishing, awards, and audience
  • the book's premise
  • what keeps readers reading  
Simple, to the point, and direct. Because, let's face it, who wants to read a long book review? If you're interested, you'll actually read the book. As I pondered this, another thought bobbed into my brain. What if I apply this formula to my own work in progress? Is my working title effective? What is my WIP's premise? What keeps readers reading?

Before I type any more words into my WIP, I will jot an MMGM for my WIP. Challenging to do for my own writing but necessary. Pictured here is an itsty-bitsy, baby Ohio Buckeye tree. Given time, it will grow into a large and shading beauty. By MMGMing my WIP, I will grow that WIP. And, I'm interested. How do you grow your WIP?

10 comments:

  1. MMGMing your book is a great idea because it will also help with your query. When I write and get to a lull in the story, I ask myself: what would Indiana Jones do next? I heart Harrison Ford a little too much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMGMed my WIP last night. Very difficult. But yes, it will help with the query. BFav, next time I will just ask WWIJD? =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's a great idea too. Sometimes I do that kind of meta thing verbally, but I don't think I've written it down.
    So...how did your story do when you reviewed it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristen, I feel like I can't do my story well; I'm too close to it. I wrote the review, but it's....I don't know. Personal stuff is hard to look at objectively.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea to apply those review principles to our manuscripts. Thanks for mentioning it. Though I also lose perspective on my own writing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, in principle, it's good but I guess that's also why our critique partners are so crucial. They see what we can't.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seems I lost a few comments on this post in the Blogger shutdown of May 12th and 13th but happy all the posts are still here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Martha, thank you for visiting my blog, looking around, letting me know it has helped you, and recommending it to your friends. I appreciate all of that so much.

    ReplyDelete

Comments. Yay! They're almost as good as chocolate. Almost.