Monday, May 2, 2011

Marvelous Middle Grade Monday: Ida B

In a few weeks Katherine Hannigan, author of Ida B, visits a local (to me) bookstore. If I talk with her, I'll quote from Ida B's cover because it best says what I think about Ida B, "Quoting Kate DiCamillo, 'I feel a deep gratitude that Ida B exists.'"

Ida B, published in 2004, has a gentle and flowing style. Any child (or adult) who has encountered change (and who hasn't?) will understand Ida B's plight as well as her heart. Specifically geared for ages nine and up, Hannigan's use of voice captures the reader.

The premise: Ida B, a happy fourth grader, is homeschooled and lives with her parents on a family-owned apple orchard. When her mother becomes very ill, Ida B's parents sell part of the orchard and send Ida B to public school. Ida B's parents broke promises and her perfect life falls apart.

What keeps readers reading: The story's point of view. Because the story is told directly through Ida B, readers are allowed entrance to her heart. We know exactly why Ida B feels as she does, and we find ourselves in Ida B. When she makes a mistake, we say, "I've done that." When she learns, so do we. With grace and elegance, Katherine Hannigan, leads readers through a broken-hearted girl's struggles with her parents, her school, and her new life.

Other MMGMers recommend:

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for this review! I'd forgotten to add this one to my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haven't heard of this one. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How funny -- my daughter and I reviewed her new book, True...Sort of. She's great at writing realistic middle grade fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really need to read this one! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You and Sherrie must have harnessed your MG-girl-Chi today. Great review, I need to check these books out for me and my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Solvang, I just saw that and commented on your blog too! I'm excited to meet her in a few weeks (as well as Margi Pruess - someone reviewed 'Heart of a Samurai' this week too!).

    Hannigan writes with such insight into her character's souls. She's a window into these people, and it's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Barbara, this is a must read, read...it's been on my list for too long. Thanks for the reminder on why it's on there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. IDA B is one of my all-time favorites. And although I read it in ARC form before it ever pubbed, I can still quote from it. It's that memorable. A lot of us were disappointed that it didn't get a Newbery that year.

    Thanks for the link! I've updated my post to add a link to your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Deb, you bet! I'm ready now for her second. Like right now.

    Joanne, thanks for your link too! IDA B is so worthy of a Newbery. I understand the disapppointment.

    Myrna, I apologize for the above comment that 'someone' reviewed HEART OF A SAMURAI. I had just read through all the MMGMs and couldn't remember who exactly it was.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hadn't heard of this one either. Thanks for sharing. Awesome that you get to meet Katherine.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy to spread word about it! And thanks for the blog follow, Natalie!

    ReplyDelete

Comments. Yay! They're almost as good as chocolate. Almost.