Monday, April 25, 2011

Marvelous Middle Grade Monday: The Mostly True Adventures of Homer P. Figg

Once I learned of the bloggers promoting artful pieces of middle grade literature on Mondays, the masterpiece beckoned me, and I'm honored to join Marvelous Middle Grade Monday (MMGM).

The Mostly True Adventures of Homer P. Figg was written by Rodman Philbrick, published in 2009, and received a Newbery Honor in 2010. My kids and I read it aloud, as we do many books, and we were engulfed in Philbrick's lively style, humor, and historical backdrop.

The premise: The Civil War rages as Homer's older brother is unlawfully sold into the Union Army by their no-good, scallywag uncle and guardian. In a desperate move, twelve-year-old Homer escapes his uncle and hunts for his brother.

What keeps readers reading: With wit and sincerity, Rodman Philbrick rolls Civil War soldiers, thieves, Underground Railroad conductors, and spies into a rollicking adventure. He reveals the horrendous reality of war as Homer is swept into the Battle at Gettysburg but does so in a way that keeps readers of any age or gender laughing along the journey.

Other MMGMers:

12 comments:

  1. Hi Barbara

    What a great format for a book review -- and it sounds like such a fun book.

    Thanks so much for commenting on my blog, On Beyond Words & Pictures. Delighted to discover your blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the MMGM crew. It is good to see another blogger promoting middle grade fiction, and it sounds like a great book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to MMGM!! I haven't read this book yet, so I'm thrilled with your review. Thanks! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love hearing about historical fiction that will appeal to my son. This sounds like it fits the bill!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pick. I'm always on the look out for great historical fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the welcomes! As a lover of MG lit, I'm happy to promote it and looking forward to more MMGMs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Barbara! I've recommended this book too so obviously I love it! Thanks for the linkage. I'm your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joanne, thanks for the follow. I'm excited to be part of MMGM!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh! I've seen this book a hundred times and never read it. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anita, absolutely. It's a gem and well-deserved of its Newbery Honor.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This one looks good. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Myrna, thank you for reading (and following).

    ReplyDelete

Comments. Yay! They're almost as good as chocolate. Almost.